Reaction score
A few weeks ago when driving home I managed to do the impossible and spin the Trophy!!
I was on a road with little grip and was unfortunate that it was very cold, damp and signs of somekind of oil type fluid on the road. As I spun the car I hit the kerb which forced the rear wheel under the car and subsequently snapped the rear axle. This then caused the rear suspension to break.

On the plus side I was not injured but the Trophy was!!

The car was quickly picked up and sent to the garage. I then got the dreaded phone call from the insurance company to tell me they had decided to write the car off as it was not economical to repair.

I am totally gutted as the Trophy has been, by far the best car I have ever driven.

So be careful with your Trophy's and try not to reduce the numbers anymore like I have!!

Reaction score
It's great to hear you are OK.
Sounds a tough call to write it off. Did the floor pan end up being bucked as well?

Cold tyres and diesel are an unforgiving combination.

SILKMAN

Reaction score
someone was breaking a trophy last week on the bay...no front damage...wonder if was yours?
can you post a picture?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
buy the car back for a few grabd and get it rebuilt.... perfect track car and you'd be able to sell it at a profit even as a cat d/c.

The trophy bits on ebay are down in berkshire from memory.....

Reaction score
Yeah was thinking of selling but then decided to keep it.

No front damage just rear with new bumper, wheel, brakes, axel and suspension. When I rang the garage who had vehile they said the major cost was buying the suspension. They quoted the insurance 6500 for repairs, vehicle was insured for 10000. So they have gone on a 60/40 split.

Enquired about buying the vehicle back and conducting repairs myself but insurance wanted 5000. I can't justify paying that for a vehicle that I may not be fully able to repair to a track/road standard.

Reaction score
Would be interesting to get a 172 cup and put all the Trophy bits onto it.

Lighter weight Trophy :) , although it would not be a real Trophy.

Sorry to hear about your loss

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes that is a disaster, at least you were fine. £6.5k does seem quite a lot for those bits though.

That's two more in the last few weeks, anyone keeping the register up to date on the dead one's?

Reaction score
Mine was 176.

Trying to get my stereo back from insurance company out of car and they are being quite slow and awkward.

I also declined their first offer but still sent me a cheque! Guess they are counting on me cashing it, and by doing that I will be agreeing to their offer.

Reaction score
didnt realise you were in the toon...wonder which yard it's in...i work next door to a massive recovery site (CF Recovery)...they let me take the stereo out of my wifes clio a few years ago when someone wrote it off.
its amazing what you see on the trailers every day..!

Reaction score
no way, sorry mate!

does sound a bit overexaggerating on the cost of repair though, wasn't it just the rear that was damaged? S how can they factor in the cost of new front suspension?

Whats your plan now then with a new car etc?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Don't think he meant the front suspension but all the same, they may be Sachs units but i think they are only about £300 a pop (seem to remember reading)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
yeh the rears are sachs units also just not the racing class version. I seem to remember £300 for the rear dampers also. Koni adjustables are only something like £200

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I said aswell - it seemed a lot. I think it worked out at 3500 for parts, 3000 for labour.

Guy at garage said it was the rear susupension which was most expensive part then axel.

Next car considered a Polo Gti but think it is too 'nice'! Plus very expensive. Maybe go for a seat fr tdi as group 8 insurance just for a few years.