Reaction score
I have been washing the car every week but would like to wax it. I have Zymol Autowash and Zymol Cleaner Wax and after using the autowash today then using the Chamois. I applied the Cleaner Wax and doesn't really come out as good as I hoped there are swirl marks really small ones. I don't do circular motion only straight-line, side-to-side motion like it says on the box. Any1 know of any really good wax products or tips on how to use products best that really brings the red colour out. Thanx

hyb

Reaction score
I've been using Zaino for the past 2 years, fantastic stuf but fantasticly expensive. I think nik has a rotary polisher jooby which really gets out swirl marks

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have just received my order of harleys no1 yellow carnauba wax. I used it this weekend and its without a doubt the most fantastic product i've ever used. It looks like its wet! it brings a really deep shine.

Any purist will tell you that carnauba is the worlds best. Some makes like zymol and meguires contain carnauba wax, but its only a small amount suspended in liquid, with polishes and abrasives. Harleys is 100% pure.

it aint cheap though but its well worth it.

Reaction score
Zymol is definately top stuff and certainly one of the best out there.

My personal experience is that if you've swirl marks then you've applied too much wax. Although at the time it may seem like you're not applying much at all you'll thank yourself when you come to remove it! :idea:

Happy polishing!

O.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I use Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba wax on mine

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/ProductD ... uctID=9140

Sells for £40 a pot in the UK but got it shipped from the US for $18 :D

Great stuff, highly recommended.

etchingafter1.JPG

etchingafter2.JPG

Reaction score
Agree. Sounds like you've used too much. Also, these totally natural products don't like this cold and damp weather. I wash my car outside, then wax her in the garage after she's wamred up a little over a couple of hours...

Oh - stick with Zymol, it's great stuff. highly recommend.

Si

Reaction score
Polish is polish, wax is wax. Cheap wilkinson stuff is exactly the same as expensive auglym stuff.

Polish is an abrasive, wax is a hydrophobic substance. Chemically there isnt alot you can do with either.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sorry, i agree that some of the cheaper waxes can do the job well, but to say that they are all exactly the same is just complete rubbish. Yes of course they have the same purpose but they are not all the same.

Reaction score
The job of a polish is to abrade the surface of the paint. Now your telling me that there is a distinction between the way an expensive polish abrades the surface, and how a cheap one does it? If a polish has abraded the surface, its done its job. What else can you do to it that justifies a 5 to 10 fold difference in price?

A wax is a wax. A solid hydrophobic fatty sterol like substance that clings to the cars paint work and repels water. If its clinging and repelling its doing its job.

Day

Reaction score
If you stood in front of a mirror Stromba would you argue with yourself?

Reaction score
lol Day.

I would have to say waxes are different (due to ingredients and % of natural waxes etc.) in the same way 98 ron petrol differs from brand to brand.

BUT I am not getting into an argument over this - it seems every thread seems to have a little bit of disagreement and I won't be drawn into it (sorry King ;) ) .

Cheers
O.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
A wax is a wax. A solid hydrophobic fatty sterol like substance that clings to the cars paint work and repels water. If its clinging and repelling its doing its job.

Yes, and some waxes cling to the paint for longer, and repel water or other more harmful liquids for longer. As you say they are all designed to do the same thing, but some do it better than others.

Reaction score
lol

Youve been reading the advertising copy on the back of too many wax bottles nik.

They are all made by the same chemical companies. Some even have the same bottles but different labels.

Heres a question. Is it a coincidence that the companies that advertise the most sell the most wax? Is it further a coiincidence that these same companies charge the most for their products to cover their advertising costs?

Reaction score
Anything for a reaction.

But you defend Optimax saying its the best.

Prove it or shut up.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
Polish is polish, wax is wax. Cheap wilkinson stuff is exactly the same as expensive auglym stuff.

Polish is an abrasive, wax is a hydrophobic substance. Chemically there isnt alot you can do with either.

do you really believe what you have posted or are you just taking an opposing view to everyone else like you regularly seem to do?

There is so much difference in waxes and polishes. granted they all have the same objective - to polish and protect, but some are better than others.

As you state a polish has abrashives in to remove swirls and minor scratches and a wax is purely to shine and protect the paint. However, every product does their job with varying degrees of success and longevity. I'm a bit of a saddo when it comes to cleaning and waxing - i freely admit and have tried lots of products wich yeild different results.

Your blanket statement is like saying that all cars are the same - they get you from A to B

Come on stromba, you know you are wrong (poke)

Reaction score
Yeah i agree there are good products and bad products. But i KNOW for a fact that some of the cheaper brands (halfords / Wilkinsons) polishes and waxes are made to the same specification as things like autoglym and other expensive brands. I went to the effort of finding out as it amazed me about the price differene.

So basically its the same stuff.

Personally i think think solid wax is better than easy on liquid waxes, because wax is a wax, not a liquid, so its going to do a better job if its a solid. But it doesn matter if its autoglym or halfords, its all the same stuff.

Its exactly the same with other thing. Vitamin c tablets are ascorbic acid. Some manufacturers sell them for twice the price of others. If you educate your self to read labels and research things you see its just a rip off buying the SAME chemical at twice the price.

I have written to autoglym and have approached their 'experts' at car shows and none of them can explain to me why their waxes are better then a wilkinson own brand. And its amazing that as soon as they find out im a biochemist they shut up and stop trying to bullshit me.

Reaction score
So why is Optimax better than BP Ultimate or "Tesco" 99 RON?

They all have additives to clean the engine. Does that make them all the same?

If supermarket fuel is made in the same refinery as Shell but different additives are used maybe two polishes are made in the same place but different additives are put in each one?