Reaction score
duffer987 said:
The only "true" Type R is manufactured in Japan for their market, the rest are pretenders.
quote]

Yawn

yes be good to see old and new Clio tested

Reaction score
salem said:
duffer987 said:
The only "true" Type R is manufactured in Japan for their market, the rest are pretenders.

Yawn

I'm not bad mouthing your Civic - I happen to have the North American equivalent right now - I'm just thinking of all the Type R fratricide on the Honda forums between the new Euro CTR and the older Euro CTR and which one is a "proper" Type R, when in fairness neither of them are.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
salem said:
duffer987 said:

Yawn

I'm not bad mouthing your Civic - I happen to have the North American equivalent right now - I'm just thinking of all the Type R fratricide on the Honda forums between the new Euro CTR and the older Euro CTR and which one is a "proper" Type R, when in fairness neither of them are.

I dont really care what pple think of any of my cars I like them.. thanks for the clear up tho :wink:

But oh yes all that EP3 is better then FN2 and visa vera chat on CTRO 50 plus pages of it double yawn.. I know the nights are drawing in but come on dont these pple have a life??? and who really cares? as long as you are happy with the car you have.. UK Hondas are the watered down versions but I still wouldnt buy the import..

Reaction score
salem said:
duffer987 said:
salem said:
duffer987 said:

Yawn

I dont really care what pple think of any of my cars I like them.. thanks for the clear up tho :wink:

But oh yes all that EP3 is better then FN2 and visa vera chat on CTRO 50 plus pages of it double yawn.. I know the nights are drawing in but come on dont these pple have a life??? and who really cares? as long as you are happy with the car you have.. UK Hondas are the watered down versions but I still wouldnt buy the import..

No worries. Ya when looking for info on the FN2 after it came out last winter/spring I was genuinely shocked by the amount of bile that debate created!
I think if there wasn't the concern about a 3rd party warranty I'd be very interested in the FD2, especially coming from an FG2, all things being equal I'll probably just get another Trophy :)

Reaction score
Thought this was all very strange, I know what EVO think of the FN2 CTR but wasn't expecting Top Gear to slate it so badly after their own magazine rated it Hot Hatch of the Year! WTF is that about? The magazine and program obviously don't have anything to do with each other.

Not ALL UK Type R's are watered down. :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
salem said:
duffer987 said:
salem said:
duffer987 said:

Yawn

well put, it's all about the enjoyment :)

Reaction score
Steve said:
Thought this was all very strange, I know what EVO think of the FN2 CTR but wasn't expecting Top Gear to slate it so badly after their own magazine rated it Hot Hatch of the Year! WTF is that about? The magazine and program obviously don't have anything to do with each other.

Ya there's a definite disconnect between the show and magazine, apart from Clarkson don't think there's much holding the two together.
Oh of course the ITR of 90's vintage is an exception :wink: Odd they export it to UK and North America, but haven't done so since :(

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Steve said:

Ya there's a definite disconnect between the show and magazine, apart from Clarkson don't think there's much holding the two together.
Oh of course the ITR of 90's vintage is an exception :wink: Odd they export it to UK and North America, but haven't done so since :(

Yeh, I think Clarkson writes one column for the mag!

Apparently Honda didn't import the DC5 to the UK for the sole reason that it was too similar to your car (EP3). Er...OK, why make it then? Very strange indeed, now that they've seen just how many private imports there are (more DC-5's in the UK than the officially imported DC2's) they should have woken up and brought the FD2 over here, but then they wouldn't have made the FN2 (no loss). A simple solution would have been to put the same engine in so making it have 238bhp (Yes, I know the official line is 225PS but this is universally regarded as a modest estimate), this would have negated the 60 odd kilo weight gain over the EP3, then just put some decent rear suspension in, or just sorted it, The Trophy does pretty well with it's torsion beam after all, I don't remember getting understeer, even in the wet.

I don't really care at the end of the day, If I had £20K to spend on a new car I would just get a FD2 off someone who imported it a few months ago (let them pay Litchfield's mark-up), or an R26. Actually I would probably just get a mint DC2 and turn my current one into a track slag and do 24 track-days a year.

What I want to know is why haven't they made an S2000 Type-R?

Reaction score
Has anyone drove the Jap import Civic bread van (sorry don't know its code) with the lsd and 220 horse power engine? Comes in all white with white alooys.

Reaction score
Steve said:
What I want to know is why haven't they made an S2000 Type-R?
Think part of the reason is that from new they're pretty expensive cars, aimed at middle aged types who want a weekend roadster and drug dealers who want something other than an M3 :wink:
When the kids get a hold of them used then all the Mugen kits get thrown on them, superchargers etc...

BTW, I realize the NSX Type R puts a dent in the price side of my "reasoning" :roll: but its a purpose built sports car which should have the R treatment done to it :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophy176 said:
Has anyone drove the Jap import Civic bread van (sorry don't know its code) with the lsd and 220 horse power engine? Comes in all white with white alooys.
That would be the JDM EP3 mate - and very nice, too. Sadly I haven't driven one of the JDM's yet. From those I know who do own them I have heard them say that there is little difference in real world terms to the EP3 sold here, although the LSD apparently inspires a little more confidence (bearing in mind that many owners' criticisms of the CTR lies in the 'numb' steering feedback). The power increase doesn't make a massive difference either (again, only what I hear firsthand) as the K20 lump still feels as eager and frantic as the reduced K20 we have here - still begging to have the nuts revved off it for maximum benefit. I would imagine that 99% of drivers don't have the driving ability to notice the difference between the variants to be honest. I would love a JDM EP3 to go alongside the good lady's UKDM EP3 and my Trophy... :twisted:

Reaction score
I don't know about that, I thought the Trophy turned in as well as a car could until I got the DC2, you can really feel the LSD work when you throw it into the corners, I think any car can benefit from having one, it just means you get more traction and less scrubby understeer. The only reason a performance car doesn't have one is to cut costs.

There are some fantastic CTR's out there, the first one had a 1.6 engine that delivered 167bhp and the next one had 182bhp in a car weighing less than a tonne. Both better power/weight than an EP3 and, needless to say the FN2. Progress?

Reaction score
I ve just been looking at Megane's and reckon a DC5 or JDM EP3 may be the other close contenders at present.