Reaction score
When Clarkson was putting the old CTR on the track against the new one.

Wasn't too surprised that the old one trounced it, because when I had a quick look at one the other day, it looked a bit podgy. I wonder how the Trophy would compare in comparison. Would be fairly interesting to see as the CTR did look like it was handling itself on the track.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The trophy would show a ctr a clean pair of heals. i've done track days in the past against them and their about the same as a 172 i'd say at best. I've show a clean pair of heals to 911's on twisty tracks.

G

The poor old (new!) CTR didn't fare too well, did it! :lol: Buy a Megane R26 if you've got ~£20k to spend, that's my advice.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
David87 said:
The poor old (new!) CTR didn't fare too well, did it! :lol: Buy a Megane R26 if you've got ~£20k to spend, that's my advice.

personally i'd get a m3 evo and pocket £10k.

Reaction score
I just want one of those "performance" (glorified camper-vans)... :D

you could travel europe in style and turn up to every racetrack for a blast.

i'm not too sure the trophy would fit underneath.

Reaction score
I'm confused as to why the new ctr got a faster time than stigs time in the ep3? 133.5 which is quicker than the 182! :(

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
Track times aside, if I spend that much on a car, I want a rear wiper!

Too right! About 6 months ago before I got the Trophy, it was a toss up between the Mkv GTI, New CTR or a Clio 182/Trophy.

Back then the CTR was just being released and when I went to the Honda dealers they wanted £21k for the CTR GT which comes with air con and the 19" alloys - so I don't quite know where Clarkson was coming from when he said it was £18k for the GT model. Honda must of realised that its over priced and over hyped and dropped the price.

Either way I think I definately made the right choice! It's gonna take a special car to prise me away from #31

Reaction score
Ok, well this is begging the question of any trophy owner who is willing to put their car upto a head to head against either a 197 or CTR on the top gear track. I think a a letter on behalf of CT to the top gear offices. Would be good to see!

Reaction score
If it was insured maybe a good idea! CT need continuous good publicity to keep the prices up :)

Big shame the Pistonheads thread has been hijacked with meaningless drivel from 90% of the posts. If they want that PH Heroes to be a success, they need to moderate the thread to ensure meaningful and constructive comments.

Reaction score
I dont know if the letter would be better coming from an admin or a mod, but otherwise, i am happy to try and draught one to then send off. What we really need is someone with a fairly standard car to put up, maybe with the damper pins removed to firm the ride a bit for the track. Be interesting to see stiggy have a go in a CT.

Would people want to see it go against a 197, or try and give the CTR's a run for their money?

Topgear contact details are below. All thoughts welcomed!

By email
top.gear@bbc.co.uk
By post
Top Gear programme, BBC White City, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS

Reaction score
Aye I tried to fight the clio's corner on Pistonheads but just kept getting shouted down by people banging on about slip-diffs (that were not really slip diff's!) and turbos. Plus 28k for a hot hatch is worth it!!

Anyway back to Top Gear - on topic - I was really impressed with CTR but I was talking to some lads in the gym tonight who are all clio fans and they all had the same opinion as me. In that when you drive the CTR it feels fast on motorways and good tarmac (like the Top Gear track) but show it some back roads and it falls apart.

I remember during the summer when all the hot hatches were launched and AutoCar, Top Gear and Evo all ran stories. The Meg came top in Evo and AutoCar but in Top Gear the Civic was voted best with the Meg way down the pecking order. Very strange.

But mayb the STIG likes it?

Reaction score
Think it would make for a good CT day out! See how many we can get to come along to the track! lol!

Reaction score
I dont need to test the Trophy and the CTR out I have them both :p

and have explained the difference between them a number of times... its all old news again :roll:

Reaction score
It doesnt necessarily have to be a test between the CT and the CTR. It could be along the same lines they did with the CTR, New vs Old. Maybe a 197 cup against a CT, something like that. Something that raises the profile of the CT again!

Reaction score
The only "true" Type R is manufactured in Japan for their market, the rest are pretenders.
Now the R26 v the FD2... that would be worth the opening review segment on Top Gear :twisted: