Reaction score
hmm, sorry i don't agree. yes they run on back pressure, but surely increasing the flow and speed of which gasses exit your going to be running more efficiently? either way, these mods are proven on SQM's for a fair few people, who times improved with simple breathing mods. remap would however make a much more significant difference, but basic breathing mods with remaps have been known on most cars to shave a few tenth's of the times and add a few more MPH onto the terminal. you wont notice an airfilter on it's own, unless it's open IK, in which you will prolly notice a loss of power. add a decent exhaust and a decat in though and you should feel the difference imo

Reaction score
CUP. You would agree that taping up your filter with masking tape will reduce power? So restriction reduces power. In the reverse of this analogy then removing tape (or restriction) will increase power.

If adding a filter and exhaust didnt increase power, then adding a taped up filter and curly wirly exhaust wouldnt reduce it. Which we know it would.

Your logic is twisted. granted the difference will be small. But 5 bhp for 50 quid seems fair to me (depending on the car).

And likewise heat reduces power. So adding a filter in a cold area MAY increase power due to improvements in COLD air flow.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
CUP. You would agree that taping up your filter with masking tape will reduce power? So restriction reduces power. In the reverse of this analogy then removing tape (or restriction) will increase power.

If adding a filter and exhaust didnt increase power, then adding a taped up filter and curly wirly exhaust wouldnt reduce it. Which we know it would.

Your logic is twisted. granted the difference will be small. But 5 bhp for 50 quid seems fair to me (depending on the car).

And likewise heat reduces power. So adding a filter in a cold area MAY increase power due to improvements in COLD air flow.

I agree here.

I guess what it comes down to is how effecient (airflow in this case) the system is to start with.

Chossing a badly design exhaust and airfilter may reduce performance (as you said CUP) but only if it is less effecient than the original items.

Many owners have rported a loss of power when changing the intake on their e46 M3 - but only becuase BMW engineered the system so well to start with that after-market items were actually inferior, and hence the reduction in output.

So again, I think it all depends on what you start with and what you end up migrating to.

One way to settle it: someone put the mods on and put the car onto a dyno!!!

Cheers
O.

G

Anyway the first week in january i will be going to DASTEK to get a UNICHIP fitted and i will let you no the out come :wink:

Reaction score
did you have an RR from the same place pre mods? really they need to be done on the same day, but even then RR result are not that accurate. only way to tell I guess is timed sprints from 0-60, 0-100 etc etc but back to back on same day in same conditions... but for what it's worth imo they do make a difference

Reaction score
A RR test pre/post mods will be very interesting Cup - keep us updated!

Cheers
O.