Reaction score
rojer386 said:
Is this true about the warrenty on the dampers??

I'm not too sure with regards to your question relating to the warranty on the dampers - maybe someone on here with friends or family that work for Renault could clear up what is and isnt covered?

Sounds like a poor show from renault on this one - i hope you get this resolved though.

Just out of interest - is this something that current owners could quickly check for? i.e. can you see the area you have taken pictures of by just having a peer in - or does the car need to be jacked and the wheels removed?

If its affecting more cars than we think then it might add weight to any discussions with Renault customer services.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah you can see thru the spokes with the help of a torch, but i don't recomend sticking a hand through the spokes to feel behind, the hand/watch combination goes in fine but not out again :oops:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
Yeah you can see thru the spokes with the help of a torch, but i don't recomend sticking a hand through the spokes to feel behind, the hand/watch combination goes in fine but not out again :oops:

you speak with experience i presume. lol "dear, can you fetch the greece, I seem to have got my hand stuck."

Reaction score
Ive just looked at mine, and my back right has the same problem. It looks exactly the same as your picture, but not as long. Im guessing there is no point me even rining renault by the looks of it

Reaction score
drexel said:
Ive just looked at mine, and my back right has the same problem. It looks exactly the same as your picture, but not as long. Im guessing there is no point me even rining renault by the looks of it

Hmm, not so good.

Depends what your local dealer is like - might be worth a visit. You might get the standard negative response or you might be lucky enough to get someone who might look at resolving the issue.

Reaction score
i went into a renault garage earlier because my left backbox metal hangar fell outa the rubber square bit and was resting on the metal box with the rubber square inside. Coming off the backbox there is a metal rod which then feeds through a hole in the rubber square thing attached to the car. There is then a screw with a washer attached to it which screws in the rod to hold it in the rubber so it cant fall out (if you know what i mean)

So i went to renault to get a few spare screws and they had never heard of it. Computer had never heard of it and renault uk hq had said no one had ever enquired about that part, if it is a part they said. So they are ringing renault france sometime in the next 12 months i guess to see if they had ever heard of the part.

Is it me or is it renault that are being stupid?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
reno - they wouldn't know there arse from their elbow if they didn't talk through one or the other.....

Reaction score
Dad serviced no 177 last week (which isn't reg'd on here) said the rear ones on that were the same small patch of wear as the sleeves wern't straight he just put them straight, i dont think the driver had never noticed.

Reaction score
rojer386 said:
When I was cleaning #488 the other day I noticed some sort of damage on the rear, offside damper but the rear nearside is fine.

TattooHolsTrophy111.jpg

The damp section is just water....I hope!

Close up:

TattooHolsTrophy113.jpg

Rear nearside damper:

TattooHolsTrophy112.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on this? I did think that possibly with it being on the drivers side, suface water and crap could be getting thrown against it but prob nothing to do with that at all!

Hello Rojer ever have any joy getting this sorted mate?

Steve

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not from the garage I took it to. I was told that dampers were only covered for 6 months and as the seals were intact/not leaking then it would be fine. It still handles exactly the same and not leaking but I will try my luck with another Reno garage in the next few weeks.

Do you have damper problems, is that why your asking?

Reaction score
Nope did have the same prob but managed to get it sorted under warranty!

Surprised at how cheap the rear dampers are, the service guy showed me the work order and they were only £106 or so plus vat.

On a funnier note a couple of weeks later checked the rear dampers and found the new onbe they fitted also had the sleeve misaligned!

Anyway you back on the mainland yet?

Steve.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah back on mainland now and will be heading to my nearest Renault dealer to get it fixed under warrenty. Feel free to PM me with the dealer name that sorted it for you, need some ammo before I go!

Reaction score
StevieH said:
Nope did have the same prob but managed to get it sorted under warranty!

Surprised at how cheap the rear dampers are, the service guy showed me the work order and they were only £106 or so plus vat.
Steve.

thats because these are just cup shocks painted, its the front ones that are fancy

Reaction score
172gaz said:
thats because these are just cup shocks painted, its the front ones that are fancy

Didn't realise cup's had SACH's dampers fitted or did they just write that on them after they'd been painted? :D

Steve

Reaction score
Think I shall be joining this thread of woe, following a quick inspection whilst cleaning 154 on Saturday, I think I have some rust too but nowhere near as bad as Roger's.. Shall try to check it out a little more closesly next weekend - praying it's nothing to worry about!! :shock:

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Think I shall be joining this thread of woe, following a quick inspection whilst cleaning 154 on Saturday, I think I have some rust too but nowhere near as bad as Roger's.. Shall try to check it out a little more closesly next weekend - praying it's nothing to worry about!! :shock:

Ive got exactly the same problem, when i took my alloy off i managed to twist the plastic cover thing and now it doesnt rub on the metal. Suppose i should clean it up and paint it to stop it rusting

Reaction score
mines not as bad and is on the opposite site but as soon as i get my flat tyre sorted tomorrow (due to a screw :evil: ) im going to my stealer to see what they're going to do if anything???

sorry about the poor quality pics, taken with my phone the missus has got my camera!!

Attachments

• DSC00427.JPG
    DSC00427.JPG
    891.6 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC00428.JPG
    DSC00428.JPG
    742 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC00430.JPG
    DSC00430.JPG
    792.8 KB · Views: 575
Reaction score
StevieH said:
172gaz said:

Didn't realise cup's had SACH's dampers fitted or did they just write that on them after they'd been painted? :D

Steve

they dont, it actually meant to read...these (trophy REAR dampers) are silver painted cup ones......

its only the front that are SACH'S, hense why in the post above the guy said they were only around £106 + VAT :wink: