Reaction score
Trophy No.
StevieH said:
It's the drivers side but it's not as bad as yours,yet!

Am expecting a phone call on monday to find out if they will replace them under warranty if not their just gonna point me in the direction of halfords for some silver hammerite!

Steve

now i would find that difficult to accept, like steve said, if they need to be replaced at a laterdate because of the FAULT it's going to cost £450 plus labour.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If the try and fob me off with ''It's down to the weather'' then no chance will it be a bit of hammerite.

As it has been previously said in this thread, if that is the state of the corrosion at this moment in time, what is it going to be like in say, 2 years??

If you could post a pic of your damper please Steve that would be great. Is the sleeve that covers the damper on your car straight? In one of the pics that I posted you can see that it is slightly off centre which has been mentioned, could be rubbing leading to the removal of the paint!

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Got it booked in today. Guy on the phone asked about the corrosion and said if the seals are intact they will basically send me packing. Would I be right not to accept this and really pester them to replace it?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if there is only cosmetic damage then you could be arguing with a brick wall for what good it'll do ya. If you can prove that the rubbing/corrosion etc has or is going to damage them in the first 3 years, they should replace them.

I'm haing a look at mine at lunchtime and if they're like yours i'm going to whoever is in charge of customer service at renault, his boss and the french fecking government!

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
French government could be a plan.

It is not just mine so surely if there is a few other cars with the same problem, they would/should have to change them.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
unfortunatly i think cue is right but it would not stop me trying, next best thing is to keep photos and try and get some kind of paperwork from dealer so if they do fail in the future you've got something to beat them with.

Reaction score
its pretty "normal" (for a renault) we see it all the time, Renault will probably tell you no

its caused by the bump stop sleve rubbing on the shock, surpising plastic does that to metal

not dangerous

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Fred said:
its pretty "normal" (for a renault) we see it all the time, Renault will probably tell you no

its caused by the bump stop sleve rubbing on the shock, surpising plastic does that to metal

not dangerous

I think everyone realises it's not dangerous at the mo but are concerned with future replacement costs of am item that due to poor fitting may not last as long as an uncorroded part.

Reaction score
It might not be dangerous at the moment, but as others have said, if it was my damper, Renault would be replacing it under Warranty and they wouldn't have my car until they got the part in either. It's not normal wear and tear to have corrosion on the damper stanchion after only a year, that's just Bollocks.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep, Also rust is not exactly strong, rust wear rust wear etc etc bye bye damper. glad it's not me i'm not very good at keeping my cool in these situations. Good luck.

Reaction score
I've got the same problem with my rear near side damper. Took it in today, to have the boot lid lock replaced (couldn't open the dam thing).
I asked the about the damper, Renault (Sutton Park, Tamworth) said Renault UK wouldn't replace it under warrantee, because 'it hasn't failed' and corrosion isn't covered.
I directly spoke to customer services @ Renault UK, they just fob you off !!!! And say the dealer has to argue your corner....
Very poor show from both the dealer & Renault UK.
I'll be interested if you manage to get your replaced, keep us informed.
I'll keep tryin Renault Customer Services & update you with any findings.

Reaction score
Er...hello No. 168, thanks for your input. Have you seen the Owners Register section? :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i swear if mines like this i'm starting a campagne on getting the rear's replaced as they are not up to the same standard as the fronts. I think Sachs would be interested in this also!!!!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
nah, the fronts are but rears are cheaper - only the fronts have the remote reservior. The rears i think, from memeory are about £600-700 each something like that. I maybe wrong about the price though.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
g40steve said:
Cue said:
nah, the fronts are but rears are cheaper - only the fronts have the remote reservior. The rears i think, from memeory are about £600-700 each something like that. I maybe wrong about the price though.

\:D/ Good job the car has warranty!!!

For what it's worth :?

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Went to reno about this on Friday but no luck!! Apparently they are only covered under warrenty for 12 months as they are a consumable ''just like your brakes mate'' he told me. I said that I knew of atleast one other Trophy with the same problem and he said ''are you sure, there are only 500 Trophys you know'' I gladly put him right and explained that infact there was more than 500.

I'm not stopping there though, not happy with what was said etc, Will be getting in touch with RS UK or whatever they call themselves and try get some better service and answers.

Is this true about the warrenty on the dampers??