Why all the sudden interest

Reaction score
last year, even 6 months ago, you struggled to shift a Trophy for anything like reasonable money. The ones for sale seemed to be listed week after week. This last few weeks they are selling faster than bog rolls in April.

I brought mine home today from its extended stay in heated storage with part of me thinking it might be the right time to get good money for it but I did this with a Mk1 RS2000 and a Mexico a few years ago......I will eternally regret that!

Anyway enough of my ramblings, what is the reason behind the sudden upturn in interest, is it another product of CV non spending frustration or has there been some other trigger to stimulate new owner interest.?........maybe the new owners could enlighten us

Reaction score
Trophy No.
No particular reason for me. I bought a fixer upper purely on a whim that it appeared on eBay a few miles from where I lived and I always wanted one.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've also been pondering this and looking on with bemusement. People not taking holidays so have more cash for a big ticket bit of fun?

MC1

Reaction score
TBH everything seems to be selling like hotcakes over 2nd half of lockdown & know of a few sellers (of other classics) getting over asking price - for one it was like a gazumping type sale.
It possibly could just be people thinking now is a good time to buy, as after B word comes back & if/when 2nd CV wave comes & goes things likely can only go up.
Or....maybe more people have had time to read up on good cars for some fun after a boring 3 months[emoji16]

Reaction score
My take on it for what it’s worth.

Over the last 5-7 years there has been building momentum in the collectable car market. Ford RS products have rocketed, Porsche products also gone mad. There’s almost no interest rate in the current economy and many were looking for automotive investments.
The was also compounded buy the huge interest of people flipping high end desirable cars for profit. Cars became objects of financial investment. Early Golf GTis, 205GTis, 106 Rallyes etc etc. All gaining halo status as they have aged. Many being small French hot hatches with a great chassis, large NA engines and offer useable performance.
The current acceleration towards turbocharged small engines, electrification and autonomy means these cars will never be made again.

There’s always a steady stream of good press about RenaultSport Clios in the motoring media and as they get older, more scarce their desirability increases.
I think with lockdown, people have had time to reflect on things and many adopting a “now or never” attitude. The Trophy being the flagship variant of the mk2 RS Clio. The Trophy is still new enough to not be a rusty rotbox, old enough to still be analogue and affordable to most that it offers not only a great driving package, but an affordable way into special car ownership. Arguably they stand to lose little or no money owning one.

I think that history of events has generated the latest hunger for the car.
Even a council spec 182 like mine offers so much for so little, it’s hard to ignore.

Jas

Reaction score
My take on it for what it’s worth.

Over the last 5-7 years there has been building momentum in the collectable car market. Ford RS products have rocketed, Porsche products also gone mad. There’s almost no interest rate in the current economy and many were looking for automotive investments.
The was also compounded buy the huge interest of people flipping high end desirable cars for profit. Cars became objects of financial investment. Early Golf GTis, 205GTis, 106 Rallyes etc etc. All gaining halo status as they have aged. Many being small French hot hatches with a great chassis, large NA engines and offer useable performance.
The current acceleration towards turbocharged small engines, electrification and autonomy means these cars will never be made again.

There’s always a steady stream of good press about RenaultSport Clios in the motoring media and as they get older, more scarce their desirability increases.
I think with lockdown, people have had time to reflect on things and many adopting a “now or never” attitude. The Trophy being the flagship variant of the mk2 RS Clio. The Trophy is still new enough to not be a rusty rotbox, old enough to still be analogue and affordable to most that it offers not only a great driving package, but an affordable way into special car ownership. Arguably they stand to lose little or no money owning one.

I think that history of events has generated the latest hunger for the car.
Even a council spec 182 like mine offers so much for so little, it’s hard to ignore.

Couldn’t agree more.
Over the years, they’ve always received high praise in EVO magazine too.
Also Frayz, I’m big fan of your thread on readers cars that I’ve been following since the beginning mid last year. Very inspiring, especially what you done for rust proofing etc

SMJ

Reaction score
Trophy No.
FWIW the used Porsche market is very hot also evidently, with "special" road cars slightly out-doing GT cars owing to the early track season disruption, but a definite sense of people "living for the moment" following what's happened this year, and a slight fear of time running out before the Government really goes after car owners, emissions, etc. in a tax-raising frenzy.

Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more.
Over the years, they’ve always received high praise in EVO magazine too.
Also Frayz, I’m big fan of your thread on readers cars that I’ve been following since the beginning mid last year. Very inspiring, especially what you done for rust proofing etc

Many thanks, i have replica threads here and on ClioSport too. To be honest, its just nice to keep a documented history of how ive tried to care for it. I think there are quite a few, be it trophy or not that are getting on the Renaultsport Clio bandwagon as they really are IMO unbeatable for the money. A true "less is more" driving experience.
Im fortunate enough to have a Porsche Cayman R in my stable of which i adore, its such a pure drivers car. Yet i can hand on heart say that i enjoy driving my little 182 every bit as much as the Porsche :)

Jas

Reaction score
Many thanks, i have replica threads here and on ClioSport too. To be honest, its just nice to keep a documented history of how ive tried to care for it. I think there are quite a few, be it trophy or not that are getting on the Renaultsport Clio bandwagon as they really are IMO unbeatable for the money. A true "less is more" driving experience.
Im fortunate enough to have a Porsche Cayman R in my stable of which i adore, its such a pure drivers car. Yet i can hand on heart say that i enjoy driving my little 182 every bit as much as the Porsche :)
Yeah I completely understand, good that you have a copy over different forums too in case on them suddenly closes down!
You’re right, non-trophy cars are just as fantastic - the fact you say that coming from a Cayman R speaks loud words for sure albeit being cars from different categories.

Reaction score
cheers fellas. I must say I went to bring mine home with something of an intention of taking advantage of the buoyant market and sticking it up for sale at £9k which going by recent sales would be a good buy for anyone. Having driven it home I parked it on the drive and it rained, the water just sat beading on it, the poor boys wax as good as when i put it on a couple of years back. I went round the car, the megs extreme tyre gel still glossy, my engine bay treatment still bright as when I did it. The interior still lovely.
I got it out the garage today, re waxed it, put it on the lift and had a good look round things.

It looks like it’s stopping with me a bit longer.

Attachments

• 10DCAC49-BCA4-4F88-921A-328BA323DFB5.jpeg
    10DCAC49-BCA4-4F88-921A-328BA323DFB5.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 327B8264-4B48-41B2-8B89-85C949FB91FB.jpeg
    327B8264-4B48-41B2-8B89-85C949FB91FB.jpeg
    899.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 12C56034-36C9-47A1-821C-86625F886548.jpeg
    12C56034-36C9-47A1-821C-86625F886548.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I got mine out of winter storage in March, something had fallen against it in the garage and scuffed the door, car looked miserable. Thought I'd get the paint repaired and get rid, as I don't use it enough. There were people on here looking for a car so I messaged a few, no interest for a reasonable price. Then COVID struck and my daily got written off early on. So I've been driving the Trophy for the last 3 months as my daily. Seeing it on the drive every day. It's no longer for sale :)

Reaction score
Ashton,looks like it's just come off the production line.
Great looking example,how long have you had it for?

They are probably the type of car that are hard to let go off,as others have said they are relatively cheap for the thrills compared to more expensive and exotic machinery.

Reaction score
They are unbelievable value fun wise for the money. I have more fun in mine than the high horsepower lardy stuff that came before it. Had it 2 years & no plans to sell, can’t say that for a lot of other cars I’ve had. Only other car I’m interested in now is another lotus.

Reaction score
It's not a sudden interest for me. Have wanted one since I first read the EVO coty 2005. Just never been in the position to run one until now. Typically they have went north price wise in the last few years!

Now after a Trophy or 200 as a weekend keeper. Judging by recent sales the 200 might more attainable. The hunt continues...

Reaction score
Ashton,looks like it's just come off the production line.
Great looking example,how long have you had it for?

They are probably the type of car that are hard to let go off,as others have said they are relatively cheap for the thrills compared to more expensive and exotic machinery.

I bought it about 6 yrs ago I think but done very few miles in it. I’ve spent my time getting it up to this condition when I suppose I should have been driving it

Reaction score
I know the feeling.

At least you can feel guilt free by using it now after doing all the work on it ?.

When this whole Covid thing hopefully dies down I'm sure a lot of people who are into cars among other things will realise being able to drive for the fun of it shouldn't be taken for granted.

Hopefully some day I'll be able to own a little terrier of a car like the Trophy ?
Enjoy it when you can..