Temp gauge not working and car not starting when hot

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi. The Temp gauge has stopped working and car will not start when hot. any ideas what could be wrong? TIA

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi. The Temp gauge has stopped working and car will not start when hot. any ideas what could be wrong? TIA

If the ECU does not recognise the engine is hot, it will inject too much fuel & the engine will not start as a consequence.

Check the connector has not been knocked off the coolant temperature switch.

The CTS is part number 226306024R , £52.43 from RPD, starting @ £9.09 from eBay, though I replaced mine as part of routine

age related servicing with this Ridex item.

It`s been fine.

830C0010 RIDEX Sensor, coolant temperature Black, with seal ➤ AUTODOC

The CTS is a 3 pin item, so not a simple case of earthing out a single wire to prove it`s popped, but I believe only 2 are wired, so you

could try bridging them to the same effect.

if you need to check continuity, the light grey wire is to ECU pin 46, and the darker grey wire is to ECU pin 73.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If the ECU does not recognise the engine is hot, it will inject too much fuel & the engine will not start as a consequence.

Check the connector has not been knocked off the coolant temperature switch.

The CTS is part number 226306024R , £52.43 from RPD, starting @ £9.09 from eBay, though I replaced mine as part of routine

age related servicing with this Ridex item.

It`s been fine.

830C0010 RIDEX Sensor, coolant temperature Black, with seal ➤ AUTODOC

The CTS is a 3 pin item, so not a simple case of earthing out a single wire to prove it`s popped, but I believe only 2 are wired, so you

could try bridging them to the same effect.

if you need to check continuity, the light grey wire is to ECU pin 46, and the darker grey wire is to ECU pin 73.

Good luck.
thanks for your help. I will swap it out