Scorpion rs 192 advice - sagging Cat

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Many of you will have tried the Scorpion rs 192 exhaust. I fitted a new system onto new oe mounts and clamps this week.
Difficult to match tail pipes but will try to re-install.

Main problem is the catalytic converter sags. Scorpion sent this picture of a bracket support, but want over 40 pounds for it.

Am I doing something wrong? Should the exhaust mount okScreenshot_20200730-122822_Yahoo Mail.jpg20200729_132257.jpg20200729_132212.jpg without it? I think not but maybe you know what the solution is?

Attachments

• 20200729_063849.jpg
    20200729_063849.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
The oem olive joint on the 182 cat is pants and to be honest they’re better off being cut out and either sleeved of flanged.
PMS actually do a cat derestriction kit whereby you cut off the crap 47mm olive and TIG on a new conical section with a 63mm outlet and sleeve your midpipe to suit.

However if you’re adamant on keeping that bit, their support looks like £40 wel spent. Unless you have access to steel and a welder, you won’t make that for less. So may aswell fit and forget.

Your last option is bin off the OEM cat and 192 system for a better quality exhaust and sports cat.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thank you,

I thought as much.

I opted for this rs 192 system because it is supposed to be 'not too loud' and boomy. And it seems fine in that. In general it does work well if only it was secure on the car. Interesting to note that its significantly more refined when the cat is set straight, then more boomy as the cat sags, probably as the centre hanger is more stressed and transmits energy to the floor pan.

When you say ' a better quality exhaust and sports cat', what would you suggest ... would there be a not too loud, easy 'ish' to live with option.
And I expect would need a remap too to make it work properly...?

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
Thank you,

I thought as much.

I opted for this rs 192 system because it is supposed to be 'not too loud' and boomy. And it seems fine in that. In general it does work well if only it was secure on the car. Interesting to note that its significantly more refined when the cat is set straight, then more boomy as the cat sags, probably as the centre hanger is more stressed and transmits energy to the floor pan.

When you say ' a better quality exhaust and sports cat', what would you suggest ... would there be a not too loud, easy 'ish' to live with option.
And I expect would need a remap too to make it work properly...?

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

If you're happy with the current volume/fit etc then I’d say get the cat cut/sleeved. As you may swap to a different exhaust and be unhappy with that too.

I personally have the oem cat and the old BTM system on mine and its barely louder than stock, its very civilised and zero boom or drone. I also recently was running a fully decatted but silenced Orbisoud. This was significantly louder than the BTM but again, no drone or boom inside. I’ve found a lot of the increased boom inside the car comes from fitting the solid poly rear exhaust mounts. These seem to make the boot floor reverberate like a speaker. The best of these i have found are the semi solid Grams honeycomb inserts which still allow for solid mounting but much better NVH.

Probably the best "off the peg" system currently available is the Pure Motorsport item (PMS). These have bespoke hangers and a centre silencer and is made with motorsport in mind so has to be track friendly. These are available with a sports cat or a cat derestriction kit so means the cat joint is a full 2.5" sleeved design and eliminates any of the olive joint and associated sagging you’re experiencing.

I looked at getting another Orbisoud, but frankly they’re probably the worst company I’ve ever attempted to deal with, so that’s a non-starter. Another but expensive option was to have something bespoke by Simpson Race exhausts. I have past experience with these and they’re the finest systems I’ve ever seen, and make an Orbisoud look like a lump of French pig iron, however you will pay handsomely for the privilege.

My next step is a PMS setup, its nicely made, sensibly priced and the customer support from Nick at PMS is excellent. I'm only swapping from the BTM as i fancy a chnage in aesthetic.

Reaction score
Just to add, PMS are working on a cat-back system so a direct alternative to the likes of Scorpion and that this should be available in about 2 months.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thank you for your very helpful response. Very informative. Food for thought.

Mike