MOT Failure - Front Strut Nuts

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Quick question... #444 has just failed its MOT because the nuts on the top of the front struts are not “a locking type”. It’s been to the same place since I had it and they’ve never picked up on this before. No idea if I’m being jerked around.

I’m guessing that the Trophy nuts are a larger diameter than the standard 182. Anyone know if these nuts are a standard size or am I going to need to source some originals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not 100% sure but they could be slightly larger than normal 182 ones. Am surprised if someone at some point in time has replaced them - have a look under the bonnet and post a pic up.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Update:

Was told the wrong part. Turns out it’s the camber bolts that don’t have the locking nuts!

Will now need to source a set. Anyone have any ideas what the size/spec of the nut is?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They're completely road legal as were standard oem on the subaru's but couldn't tell you if the nut is a locking nut - first I've heard of an MOT failure due to not having locking camber bolt nuts...

This lot supply a lot of the UK market - maybe call them and ask? https://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’m pretty certain that the standard nut and bolt is 14mm. I’ve got some spare which I will measure tomorrow if you like? The standard nut and bolt require a 21mm socket to fasten.
I also think the thread pitch is quite fine for a bolt of that size, and they’re strengthened.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thank you all for your help, it’s very much appreciated. I’ve got some m14 nyloc nuts arriving tomorrow. I’ve also ordered original replacement bolts and nuts from Renault to be safe!

Reaction score
You realize originals are not locking type either, they're just flanged nuts with a really high torque requirement, no way they'll get loose. The bolts are splined also and there's some interference fit in the struts, that's how all this makes for a secure assembly. Unless you explain this to the MOT place, replacing with originals may not change their decision as it will visually be the same used or new...

If they insist for a locking nut, yes just put 2 in place but OEM decided it was not required...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just picked up some originals. Looks like they have nylock thread.

bc2abfe644448a04cc2e6fb5010cc9f9.jpg

a42b0aec8bae4f34cf9f968b9ee429f7.jpg