Clio Williams Ownership Information

Reaction score
Just said I'd ask this question on here as I believe there might be some current and also
former, Clio Williams' owners.

Just wondering what is it like to find parts for the Williams these days?

Is it a case, that you either have to be very lucky and or, spend a very long time hunting
down various parts?
Are there many companies making parts again for them, maybe?

And lastly, generally speaking, what are they like to own?
What area's should you pay attention to, if you were looking at one?
I believe the engine is pretty strong, the gearbox can give issues and rust can also
be an issue if I'm right?

Do they live up to the hype?

Much appreciated for any feedback.

Last edited:

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Did you get any help with your questions Francis - they’re a few Clio Williams owners that I know of on here -

Are you looking to start a new project ??? - in the colour Blue.

Chipper

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Francis,

As an owner I am obviously pro Williams!, original Renault parts are getting a bit thin and are commanding a few more £££ these days.

There are Companies like Bordanova sport and Youngtimers in France who are starting to reproduce most bits now, which is good 👍 The mk1 Clio obviously still has a big following there 🇫🇷

They are a great drive, good low down grunt and vs a 205gti I think they are a bit more refined and don’t feel as tinny (and I’ve had a white 1.9).

The main issue is rust. Advice is buy the best you can. There are some dogs out there and very few wouldn’t have had bodywork at this stage of the game. In saying that you can buy new good quality quarters and sills if required..

The Williams always had a tough press especially from Ford RS men etc re values, though they are starting to up, noticeable in the last year or so with prices on eBay etc..

At the end of the day they are simple machines, relatively speaking, 2.0 16v, no expensive turbos or superchargers, no trick things to go wrong and sting you in the pocket!

If you do a search I added a post a while back to a thread with pictures of mine and what to look out for re originality

Hope this gives a bit of an insight!

Reaction score
@Chipper Thanks for the post and the details in it as well.

As you say, mechanically wise, its a fairly straight forward setup, powertrain and running gear at least
(you would guess anyway).
While I have never even sat in one, I could well believe they might feel a bit more "substantial"
compared to the 205.
While I currently have a 205, I will freely admit, its very much an early 80's design so I wouldn't
fancy testing out its crash protection structures, wherever they may be ;)

Those glorious looking armchair style seats, would really add to the feeling of security and comfort
I would imagine.

For instance, is it a bit job to do a timing belt on them?
I've read that the lack of engine bay room, might make it a bit trickier etc.

I must have a search for that thread you mentioned, thanks again for the tip Chipper.

While its currently unlikely I will get to try one for a while, I would love to drive one at some point
in the future, to see if that tripod corner stance is as good as I've read about 😁