Clio 182 Trophy "project" wanted

Reaction score
After deciding not to cash in on my Sierra Cosworth to free some funds up, I am now exploring the possibility of Trophy ownership from the cheaper end of the scale (i.e. Project/restoration cars or previously written off examples).

What's out there and what sort of prices are being asked? Please feel free to reply on here or PM me.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Its a good option if you have the ability to. prices are now heading so silly that you can practically buy a high miler and full shell respray it for for less many now listed.

if your looking to go back to oem..
main hits to look out for ... belts done or not, sachs still around or not and are they serviced. recaros are they still in. missing those and yuor suddenly very deep into your spares spend.
the seat bases can be bought but not the spefic ones witht the plaque. v6 spoliers are a fortune now. OEM rear seats are actually i have found quit hard to find. pov spec door cards aren't to bad and of course washer blanks. wheels anything from £200 second hand to £730 new

the rest is just 182.

few sub £4k cars been about which may or not need a tidy. There was a shell on cliosport.net at £1500 but unfortunately a cat d. That would have been a lot of work to end up with a cat d car. Myland Auto designs had a project on ebay at £3750 but that was way optomistic. @Kingpin 's car looked a steal at the same price and by no means a project.

I have personally found with my 3 variants of 182 that you end up needing things doing no matter ont he price you pay which is why I have stayed away from expensive options. Some times the cheap one you know needs work is actually better place to be.

For reference i picked up 147 pretty cheap (in this climate) and wil be aiming to slowly tidy her back to a decent standard, so the options are out there.

Reaction score
Its a good option if you have the ability to. prices are now heading so silly that you can practically buy a high miler and full shell respray it for for less many now listed.

if your looking to go back to oem..
main hits to look out for ... belts done or not, sachs still around or not and are they serviced. recaros are they still in. missing those and yuor suddenly very deep into your spares spend.
the seat bases can be bought but not the spefic ones witht the plaque. v6 spoliers are a fortune now. OEM rear seats are actually i have found quit hard to find. pov spec door cards aren't to bad and of course washer blanks. wheels anything from £200 second hand to £730 new

the rest is just 182.

few sub £4k cars been about which may or not need a tidy. There was a shell on cliosport.net at £1500 but unfortunately a cat d. That would have been a lot of work to end up with a cat d car. Myland Auto designs had a project on ebay at £3750 but that was way optomistic. @Kingpin 's car looked a steal at the same price and by no means a project.

I have personally found with my 3 variants of 182 that you end up needing things doing no matter ont he price you pay which is why I have stayed away from expensive options. Some times the cheap one you know needs work is actually better place to be.

For reference i picked up 147 pretty cheap (in this climate) and wil be aiming to slowly tidy her back to a decent standard, so the options are out there.

I'm totally on that wavelength and unless you're buying a concours car then there's always something you'd want to replace/rebuild/re-style etc. I like to save cars in need and whilst at it I'd be doing things that should be done to it (belts replaces, water pump replaced, Sachs refurbished etc).

I saw that one for £1500 and it would have to be about £500 cheaper or come with more Trophy bits to encourage me to buy it. It's just not viable to get that on the road and to a high standard for less than £4K....and you could buy a non write off for a little extra if you look hard enough.

Reaction score
swap you my needing love trophy for your cossie if your really want :tonguewink:

i would throw in a snickers if that seals the deal.:sunglasses:

Haha! To be fair, I hardly use my Cossie and I often feel sorry for it just sitting locked away when it should really be out there playing with the pretenders to its throne. I just don't have the time I hoped to have with it...and even when I free up time to play with it the weather usually lets me down.

With all that considered, if the right offer came in I'd have to think seriously about whether to keep it or sell it. My head says I should sell it, but my heart says keep it.

Reaction score
Ford fan boys will always keep them prices strong... how i wish i had picked up ANY rs of that era when the prices hit the rock bottom.

i doubt would will find a better option for the money to fill that looks cool goes like stink and everyone knows what its is. Mini GP2 might, iof thats your thing.

Reaction score
I know and the reality is us Ford nuts would be lying if we didn't have one eye on values. If anyone says differently then they're lying. It's better than money in the bank and it appreciates at around £2k per year at the moment. It's quite sad from a neutral point of view though as it should be the working man's supercar, but these days it's only the wealthy that can afford them. It's not what Ford intended to see them so valuable these days.

BUT....mine is 28 years old and if anything goes wrong then you're worrying about how much it'll cost to put right etc. All 28 year old cars will get niggles too, so it's always a worry to own one.

In relation to the Trophy, it's a coveted car, very limited in numbers, and a lot cheaper to run and keep than a Cossie. Even Sachs refurbs are cheap in comparison to rebuilding Cossie engines, turbo's, bodywork restorations, etc. Plus, a lot less can go wrong with a Trophy, and if they do you can raid a normal 182 for a lot of the parts.

I like Mini GP's, but they never really took off over here. Besides I used to have a 220bhp "Hartge" tuned Mini Cooper S that

Reaction score
...as a practical all rounder, popped the GP for me. On rarity though, the GP was the best Mini of that generation.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard that Trophy's are pretty durable and aren't too bad for underside treatment from the factory. Plus, I'd be more inclined to use it come rain or shine than I would with the Cossie.

Sometimes it just makes sense to have something I'll no doubt be able to enjoy more often than keeping the Cossie. I must say that just owning a Cossie is a great feeling and it would be a wrench to part with it. It would have to be on my terms.