Clio 1.4 engine won't fire on startup

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi, I serviced my Clio on Saturday. It all went smoothly and the car started after I had finished. The next day however the car would not start. It would turnover but the engine would not fire.
One thing that happened was as I was using a wrench to get the oil filter loose I touched a plug (the grey in the attached image) and this created sparks. Could I have blown a fuse? I've cleaned the TDC sensor and was also thinking of replacing the throttle body as this is not opening when turning the key. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_182958.jpg
    IMG_20210309_182958.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 7

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi, I serviced my Clio on Saturday. It all went smoothly and the car started after I had finished. The next day however the car would not start. It would turnover but the engine would not fire.
One thing that happened was as I was using a wrench to get the oil filter loose I touched a plug (the grey in the attached image) and this created sparks. Could I have blown a fuse? I've cleaned the TDC sensor and was also thinking of replacing the throttle body as this is not opening when turning the key. Thanks
Hold fire on replacing the throttle body.
It is more likely you shorted the live lead of the alternator than the grey plug.(Oil pressure switch ? )
If the car started after this, you did not blow the fuse.

Are there any warning lights showing on the dash with the ignition on?

Please, if you let me have your VIN number I can look at your specific car.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hold fire on replacing the throttle body.
It is more likely you shorted the live lead of the alternator than the grey plug.(Oil pressure switch ? )
If the car started after this, you did not blow the fuse.

Are there any warning lights showing on the dash with the ignition on?

Please, if you let me have your VIN number I can look at your specific car.
I bought a second hand TB off eBay. It started first time and I did the remapping process (ignition on, ignition off, let idle for 3 mins). Been driving it for the last week and seems fine. No dashboard lights. Thanks for the reply