Christmas Tree Dash Panel

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought Christmas was nearly over but fired up #384 today and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The engine light came on and a couple of others. Quick diagnostic told me two error codes, misfire on no. 4 and injector fault on no.4.

The lumpiness went as it warmed until it was nearly gone, not too worried about this as it was cold and damp and she hadn’t been ran for 6 weeks or so.

Now, the ones that I’m not sure on where the traction control and SERV lights coming on. Brief google says from anything from a cable under the seat to steering position sensor. I couldn’t get it to reliably fault when moving the wheel, seems a random occurrence.

Grateful for any pointers or ideas on this, no more error codes were generated.

Reaction score
You may find they go away after few starts up. I had an s4 didn't get used for about a month or so and again was in Dec last year so cold and had few dash lights. Went after couple of drives.

MC1

Reaction score
First check battery earth cable is ok, bad earth can cause random faults with warning lamps etc. The cable can have hidden poor connection between the copper strands and the crimped connector. Damp and unused for 6 weeks in the recent damp & now cold weather can speed up corrosion eg on wiring. Also check no mice are nibbling the HT leads, they love these cars as theres a good space on the rocker cover to sit and warm up when it’s cold (bonnet heats up in sun)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah she needs a good blast but we’re dirty Tier 4 plague rats so it’ll have to wait for a bit.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
First check battery earth cable is ok, bad earth can cause random faults with warning lamps etc. The cable can have hidden poor connection between the copper strands and the crimped connector. Damp and unused for 6 weeks in the recent damp & now cold weather can speed up corrosion eg on wiring. Also check no mice are nibbling the HT leads, they love these cars as theres a good space on the rocker cover to sit and warm up when it’s cold (bonnet heats up in sun)

Good tip, I’ll give it a check.

Reactions: MC1
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’ve had both the steering wheel position fault, slightly loose connector on the lead under the top cowling behind the steering wheel which was easily solved and has never reoccurred. Also the lead under the passenger seat had caused some grief, I have cable tied it to the frame and is mostly fine. So don’t discount either but those lights could also be a myriad of other issues.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’ve had both the steering wheel position fault, slightly loose connector on the lead under the top cowling behind the steering wheel which was easily solved and has never reoccurred. Also the lead under the passenger seat had caused some grief, I have cable tied it to the frame and is mostly fine. So don’t discount either but those lights could also be a myriad of other issues.

I have had the steering wheel changed for a snappy trimmed one so possible there’s a lose or bad connection. Will check the seat connections too. Glad both are genuine things to check.