anti-roll bar bushes sizes?!

Reaction score
hi all trying to get some powerflex anti roll bar bushes, (front) but dont know the size of the inner and outer bushes.
if anyone can help would be most grateful
cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Has anyone attempted to replace the inner ones, if so can you let me know best way to fit?

Interested to know OEM Vs Powerflex difference too?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
They're a total pain to fit as the access is very limited. The bracket that clamps over the bush needs to be mechanically clamped so that the securing nut and bolt can be fastened. I had a very small set of G-clamps that I used to clamp it but I also had to use some pipe grips that I could lock in position once clamped. There was a lot of swearing involved. If you have a good selection of grips/clamps etc then you will be ok. The main issue is that it's difficult to clamp the bracket without blocking the bolt holes and getting them both to line up enough to get the bolt through.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
They're a total pain to fit as the access is very limited. The bracket that clamps over the bush needs to be mechanically clamped so that the securing nut and bolt can be fastened. I had a very small set of G-clamps that I used to clamp it but I also had to use some pipe grips that I could lock in position once clamped. There was a lot of swearing involved. If you have a good selection of grips/clamps etc then you will be ok. The main issue is that it's difficult to clamp the bracket without blocking the bolt holes and getting them both to line up enough to get the bolt through.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow...

Great stuff that makes perfect sense. I think I'll bung my mechanic a few ££ for doing both inners and outers as he's had a few RS Clios. With a ramp and the right tools imagine this will be easy.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes, a ramp would definitely make it much easier. I did mine before I installed the lift so I just used axle stands and rolled around on the floor which made the job 10x harder. At the time I wished I'd just paid someone to do it but once you've took the old ones off you're pretty much committed.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
For anyone wanting to stick OEM these both match the Renault part numbers and currently 90 ish % off RRP.

Have ordered both sets so will report back once fitted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-20-07-07-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-20-07-07-36.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes, a ramp would definitely make it much easier. I did mine before I installed the lift so I just used axle stands and rolled around on the floor which made the job 10x harder. At the time I wished I'd just paid someone to do it but once you've took the old ones off you're pretty much committed.

Have mine booked in next week and can only imagine this will be easy for a decent garage (my mechanic has had Renaults for many years). Given mine have covered 132,000 miles can only imagine this being a worthwhile replacement. From the side the rubbers look very cracked and hopefully the cause of my creaking.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I replaced mine a couple of years ago, They would have covered less than half the miles as yours, mine were also cracked around the edges. When I removed them the majority of the bush looked ok considering they were 10+ years old. I think the outer bushes wear out quicker, that might be because they're more open to the elements where as the inner ones are tucked away, the ARB will also flex more on the outer edges.

Anyways, I'm rambling on..

A garage will have them off and on easily enough, saves mucking about. Hopefully it will solve the creaking. When did you last change your steering rack bushes?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Inner = 25mm
Outer = 23mm

Inner OE number - 7700847383
Outer OE number - 7700784171

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I replaced mine a couple of years ago, They would have covered less than half the miles as yours, mine were also cracked around the edges. When I removed them the majority of the bush looked ok considering they were 10+ years old. I think the outer bushes wear out quicker, that might be because they're more open to the elements where as the inner ones are tucked away, the ARB will also flex more on the outer edges.

Anyways, I'm rambling on..

A garage will have them off and on easily enough, saves mucking about. Hopefully it will solve the creaking. When did you last change your steering rack bushes?

I have a set of rack bushes but never thought about replacing them, does this make a big difference?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was relating the rack bushes to your creaking issue, although, they generally cause a clunking or knocking noise when worn so perhaps it's not related so much. I was just curious. I replaced mine at the same time as the ARB bushes as they also looked worn. They're not as difficult to chance as there is more access.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Had the inner ARB bushes replaced and was charged 0.8 hours labour so a worthwhile trip to the garage.

What a difference, the car feels very tight and precise.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Definitely worth while. It took me a while longer than 0.8 hours.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Finally got to the bottom of the creaking, it was the Evol dogbone so must have tightened it a bit too much.

Have since replaced all the ARB bushes and the balljoints anyway which didn't cure the problem, but the car is finally driving rattle, squeak and knock free and it drives so, so precisely I'm over the moon!