Worrying experience with bonnet catch

Reaction score
Just to alert everyone's attention to this further than has been done already..

Did my oil change this eve and when I went to lift the bonnet, having pulled the release inside the car, I didn't have to pull the catch at all - it hadn't engaged.. Quite worrying considering it's under a year since the car was serviced!

Suffice to say that it was given a thorough lubing up ready for the couple of hundred miles that I shall be covering this weekend.

You have been warned!! :shock:

Reaction score
I give my engine a wipe over, check my fluids & lube the catch everytime I wash the car (Once a week is the norm).

When did you last open the bonnet?

Reaction score
I expect that the last time I opened the bonnet was a couple of weeks ago. I shall pay much closer attention in future! :roll:

Reaction score
Sorry mate, I wasn't being sarcy, just hoped it hadn't been too long if the catch hadn't taken.

Reaction score
fazedesign said:
Johnnytheboy said:
I try to avoid opening the bonnet on any car, you never know what you'll find! :lol:

My spies tell me there's an engine in there! :wink:

Are those the spies you speak of. As in the Joshua spies. They're everywhere, watch 'em.

I've never greased up my bonnet opener, Is this normal practice? Should I be worried?

G

I refuse to oil my bonnet catch out of principle. I shouldn't have to, and therefore I won't. If my bonnet knocks my teeth out I'll sue France. :D

Reaction score
David87 said:
I refuse to oil my bonnet catch out of principle. I shouldn't have to, and therefore I won't. If my bonnet knocks my teeth out I'll sue France. :D

FU(K sueing them, I say WAR!!!!!!

We've won the last 600, might as well give them another whupping.

Reaction score
Steve said:
fazedesign said:
Johnnytheboy said:
I try to avoid opening the bonnet on any car, you never know what you'll find! :lol:

My spies tell me there's an engine in there! :wink:

Are those the spies you speak of. As in the Joshua spies. They're everywhere, watch 'em.

I've never greased up my bonnet opener, Is this normal practice? Should I be worried?

It's worth doing as it only takes a couple of seconds to slap a bit of grease on and work it in, it can save you so much grief in the future.

I wouldn't be that worried as the car is only what? 18 months old? Shouldn't really be an issue yet but for what little effort it takes, might aswell do it.

Reaction score
No Problem! I wasn't in the least bit offended 8)

SpaceMonkey said:
Sorry mate, I wasn't being sarcy, just hoped it hadn't been too long if the catch hadn't taken.

Reaction score
Checked mine yesterday when i gave her a clean and it was the same!going to take it to the stealers as i need passenenger seat sorting too, got the rattle! :shock:

Reaction score
According to this week's Autocar, Renault are recalling 500,000 mk2 Clios to sort the bonnet catches out. First I've heard of it, though I did get a letter the other day telling me any Renault dealer would inspect my catch for free if I wished.

Which I thought was nice, what with the warranty and everything.....