Reaction score
Has anyone fitted winter tyres to their Turinis? I've got 2 full sets of wheels now so am hoping to do so soon. I recall reading somewhere that it's worth fitting slightly narrower tyres (more choice and saves money too!). I was thinking 195/45/R16 instead of the standard 205's? Will these fit on the rims without any issues? Michelin Alpin A4's seem like a good choice but are expensive (£103 each), Pirelli snowcontrol serie II/III are cheaper (£83 each) but don't seem to be designed for performance cars. Continental WinterContact TS 830p won 2011 evo winter tyre test but the only ones available in the 195 are the 850 p, which are not aimed at performance cars. Any advice greatly appreciated, sounds like a cold few months ahead!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Go for the 195 size. Skinny tyres are better for snow and should be cheaper too

Reaction score
I run 195/50/15 Hankook iCept EVO winters on my spare wheels which were brilliant last winter.

Clio 172's came fitted with 195/45/16 as standard do no issues on size.

Reaction score
I run 195/50/15 Hankook iCept EVO winters on my spare wheels which were brilliant last winter.

Clio 172's came fitted with 195/45/16 as standard do no issues on size.

Cheers for the replies folks, looking forward to finally trying winter tyres. I may even invest in some chains for the front too so we can go snowboarding....

Reaction score
Cheers for that. You're right BTW. The Clio owners manual simply states that "Chains must not be fitted to tyres which are larger than those originally fitted to the vehicle" but the Clio Sport booklet states "Fitting snow chains to the tyres is strictly forbidden". Anyway, I've ordered the Michelin Alpine A4's in the 195/45/R16 size after confirming they definitely fit on the 7J wheels: http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/equivalency-tables-advice.html. Looking forward to trying them but it looks like the chains are a no no.

Reaction score
Maybe those fabric snow "sock" things would be ok?? Anyone got a view on this??

From what I've read, they can be handy in an emergency but not really a substitute for proper chains?

Reaction score
I run Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s' on the original Turinis and I have to say, they are a revelation in the snow, whilst giving more grip, feel and confidence in sub 7 degree temperatures. In fact I am swapping over to them on Saturday :).

Reaction score
From what I've read, they can be handy in an emergency but not really a substitute for proper chains?
Lots of people use them here (pyrenees SW France) when going up skiing and seem to cause no problems - can see the logic in chains offering better grip but if the sock things can be fitted on the T and chains can't then maybe worth a go...