Reaction score
Does anyone know why there is a 'button' at the bottom of the footwell where the accelerator is?

The only reason I can think of is to de-activate the speed limiter cruise control. Other than that... pointless?

Reaction score
The only reason its there, like you said, is to override the speed limit control (not cruise-control) in case of emergencies.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
yep, thats exactly what it's there for allows you to overide the speed limiter function. It allows you to temporarily overide and exceed the set speed but will pick the limit back up once you slow down below it again. You could of course deactivate and recall it using the steering wheel buttons instead, but should you suddenly find yourself in a car chase you can just mash the accelerator instead. :lol:

Reaction score
Interesting...

So it is still possible to get 100% engine power without pressing the button?

hyb

Reaction score
Yep, in mine you really have to push hard to hit the switch, if you didn't know about it you wouldn't go past it in my opinion. But im guessing each switch feels different

Reaction score
Attatched to the button is a canister of halucinagenic drug. Everytime you press the accelerator your foot inadvertantly touches the button and this releases the drug into the cockpit. The drug is halotrophigen, a substance know to make the subject think that they are moving more quickly than they are. Apparently the press cars were fitted with two canisters.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
PMSL

I see you've taken your pills now then. You had me worried there for a while :p

Reaction score
Nik said:
yep, thats exactly what it's there for allows you to overide the speed limiter function. It allows you to temporarily overide and exceed the set speed but will pick the limit back up once you slow down below it again. You could of course deactivate and recall it using the steering wheel buttons instead, but should you suddenly find yourself in a car chase you can just mash the accelerator instead. :lol:

I was just about to start a thread on this and to be honest wasn't sure how to word it, then I decided to be a good forum user and utilise the search facility. Sure enough my theory on the final click of accelerator travel has been confirmed, I wondered what it was from the first week of ownership in April (I didn't actually press hard enough to feel it for a couple of days - I know, what a wuss.) but had forgotten about it until I was using the Pit Lane Limiter in a 30 zone and was amusing myself by having the throttle pinned in second and the 'O' button ready when the destricted sign came into view, when it suddenly went off like a firecracker! On repeated playing, I realised that the final 10mm of travel is obviously a switch to temporarily disengage the speed limiter. How interesting...

This is so much fun when you're going 65 mph in third on the dual carraigeway and a beemer pulls up hard behind you an inch from the bumper - click - Seeya!

Reaction score
Does this have anything to do with the operation of the shift light too?? Im sure sometimes my shift light doesnt come on??

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jobo said:
Does this have anything to do with the operation of the shift light too?? Im sure sometimes my shift light doesnt come on??

Shift light? what shift light - I dont tend to look at the dash when I'm blitzing it (other things on my mind like the rapidly approaching horizon). I've never noticed this button thing either, having said that I've only ever used the limiter once and found the on/off button an effective way of disengaging it.

Reaction score
Cue said:
Jobo said:

Shift light? what shift light - I dont tend to look at the dash when I'm blitzing it (other things on my mind like the rapidly approaching horizon). I've never noticed this button thing either, having said that I've only ever used the limiter once and found the on/off button an effective way of disengaging it.

I'm glad you said that, I only noticed the shift light a couple of weeks ago, basically the green gearstick light (you'll see it when you turn the key) blinks just before you hit the electronic limiter, I probably didn't see it because I was always changing up at exactly the right moment, being the expert race driver I am :lol:

The switch is still there, even without the speed limiter/cruise control on. It's basically like a stuck throttle that clicks down another centimeter when you press hard. It doesn't provide any more throttle opening/accleration but lets you know that your foot is well and truly planted! :twisted:

Reaction score
Cue said:
Jobo said:

Yeh its a little green light, very bottom right of the clocks. Nice feature but wouldve been better right in the middle or something! Its not the easiest to see.

Im sure this 'button' has something to do with it as sometimes, like i said, i dont see the light come on, maybe only operates when your foot is hard down ie pressing the button? Only one way to find out........................ :twisted:

Reaction score
Jobo said:
Cue said:
Jobo said:
Im sure this 'button' has something to do with it as sometimes, like i said, i dont see the light come on, maybe only operates when your foot is hard down ie pressing the button? Only one way to find out........................ :twisted:

Ok nothing to do with the light, must be just the Limiter/Cruise as discussed :D

Reaction score
My Sisters 51 plate Clio 172 had the switch thing at the bottom of the accelerator pedal too, whats that all about, they haven't got cruise or speed limiter fitted....... :roll:

Reaction score
JonnyTrophy said:
My Sisters 51 plate Clio 172 had the switch thing at the bottom of the accelerator pedal too, whats that all about, they haven't got cruise or speed limiter fitted....... :roll:

Maybe it's a switch that knocks 10mpg of your fuel economy reading, mine seems to drop from 32 to 22 when held down for long enough. :lol:

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
JonnyTrophy said:

Maybe it's a switch that knocks 10mpg of your fuel economy reading, mine seems to drop from 32 to 22 when held down for long enough. :lol:

Ha! Yeah must be, it seems to happen to mine too, how strange!!

Reaction score
all clios which are fly by wire have the same accelerator pedal, iirc the bottom bit is used for the kick down on auto's too