Reaction score
hi, been driving around today in the trophy and can hear a whistling sound when i start to accelerate enybody have this sound. otherwise it sounds like a induction leak to me?
thanks

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine makes a whistling noise when im driving at about 20 - 40mph, Its pretty loud when ive got the window down. I always thought it was a cracked inlet manifold or something similar. But im sure i read somewhere that they all make the whistling noise, not sure though.
I dont think mine has an induction leak as i persumed it would make a whistling noise when i revved the engine when the car was stationary., but it doesnt, just when im doing 20-40mph.??Wierd

Reaction score
Mine whistles when revved stationary or moving in slow traffic - sounds like a turbo. It's happened since I removed the acoustic valve, not sure it's a problem though??

Reaction score
I get this when the drivers window is open slightly or fully from 30-50ish. think its just the air going past the wing mirror. i notice it more since i had my wing mirror changed and this time there is a small nobbly black bit on the underside.

Reaction score
yeh all 182s do this, not sure what it is but I think it comes from the engine.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
lol - its because reno are cheapskates - the drivers door mirror is a reverse of the passenger one - the ext. temp sensor is in the passenger one but the drivers mirror has a hole where the sensor would be. This causes the mystery whistle.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
:shock:
How did you figure out thats what caused the whistling noise.

Reaction score
Yup, cue has it on the money

It's pretty annoying to start off with, but can be got rid off by a bit of tape etc... I've just grown used to it tbh appreciate it as one of the quirks of the car!

Reaction score
mine does this while accelerating at any speed, even with the janspeed on. wish i could diagnose it, defo not the wing mirror as only comes when putting the foot down. any ideas gratefully received!!

Reaction score
Yeah i think the whistling we're talking about is when you rev the engine. Makes the noise even when stationary....

Reaction score
yeah just been out again to have a listen, think your right it always does it, defo coming from the engine not the wing mirror.

Reaction score
Yep mine does both , with the window down when driving put your finger over the hole under the mirror and the whistling stops..but the engine does make a whistle sound when stationary as when I had my tracking done one of the fitters asked if it had a turbo or dump valve because of the noise :?:

Not certain but it may be the fuel injection

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
not noticed the engine doing it - sounds like it's wind noise maybe through the accoustic value or intake maybe...

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
Yep mine does both , with the window down when driving put your finger over the hole under the mirror and the whistling stops..but the engine does make a whistle sound when stationary as when I had my tracking done one of the fitters asked if it had a turbo or dump valve because of the noise :?:

Exactly the comment I had when I had my trakcing/geometry set up recently...