Reaction score
I am considering a track day but really think it would be more economical in the long run to buy a set of dedicated track rims/tyres.

Does anyone know if there is a set going cheaply anywhere?

Also do I have to stick with the same dimensions as the current rim? If I change slightly I am guessing I would have a greater option as far as tyres are concerned?

Any input greatly appreciated...

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Oliie - I suppose ebay is as good a place as any to look for rims - you need to ensure that you end up with the right PCD, offset and weight.

As for tyres there is a much better choice for 15"rims. The rolling radius of 205/45x16 is only 1% more than 205/50 x 15.

I think that I have tracked down some 16" Superleggeras, but will not have time to look at them for about a fortnight - if they are the right price I will probably go for them and use Kumho V70A track tyres (as virtually the only choice in 16") - and will get 2 soft and 2 medium, so that I can play with the balance. I have even thought about only buying two for the front, as that is where all the work is done. If there are any more rims, do you want me to let you know?

Reaction score
George K said:
Oliie - I suppose ebay is as good a place as any to look for rims - you need to ensure that you end up with the right PCD, offset and weight.

As for tyres there is a much better choice for 15"rims. The rolling radius of 205/45x16 is only 1% more than 205/50 x 15.

I think that I have tracked down some 16" Superleggeras, but will not have time to look at them for about a fortnight - if they are the right price I will probably go for them and use Kumho V70A track tyres (as virtually the only choice in 16") - and will get 2 soft and 2 medium, so that I can play with the balance. I have even thought about only buying two for the front, as that is where all the work is done. If there are any more rims, do you want me to let you know?

Thanks George - if they are quite good value for money I would be interested if there is an extra set (as I only envisage using them three or four times a year).

Do you know the PCD and offset of the current rims? I am gathering the weight does not have to be the same but that the lighter the rim the better (direct correlation to the weight of the wallet used to pay for the rims...).

I will have a look on eBay when I’ve a free minute and see what is on offer.

Cheers
Oliver

Reaction score
Not sure of PCD - am sure the offset is ET 45. Try to benefit from the lighter rims, as per the trophy - it certainly is a plus point. Will keep you posted when I have looked at the rims. Let me know if you buy in the meantime.

Regards

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Regarding running your own car..... I know there is a lot of people that run their own cars on here but if you're going to run it i'd seriously think about upgrading the 'box, cluth. pads in addition to tyres.

Whatever Renault say, the only racing spec equiptment on the car is the dampers. Not that it's going to spoil your fun or anything but having the clutch go on the drive home will ruin your day.

I supose i'll get a barrage of abuse now lol........ :p

Reaction score
Agree with brakes but don't believe clutch should be affected if shifting correctly (i.e. not riding the clutch). It isn't timed so don't believe there is a need to slip the clutch when setting off etc.

I definately have the brakes on the list of 'to-dos' however...

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I set my first set of pads on fire the first time i took it on a track - decided it was a bad idea to run it tracks then - having to replace the pads after only 4k miles wasn't fun.

Reaction score
Oliie, I finally got round to following up my wheel contact. They are OZ Superleggera in silver and in excellent condition. They are 7 x 16, but at 37 mm ET a bit off the standard ET 45. This has the effect of widening the track by 8 mm each side and may affect the steering geometry (changes the scrub radius)- the previous owner apparently did not experience any problems - they are for sale because his car was on lease and has been returned in 'standard' form. The impressive thing is that they are much lighter than the Trophy wheels - hence will be quite expensive.

If you or anyone else would like to follow up, the contact is Alex Clark of Carlton Garage in Exmouth - on 01395 223320.

Reaction score
Thanks George. I will have to consider carefully as I may be put onto an overseas project shortly which will mean my weekends are not as free as I would have wanted...

Will give the guy a call if I can though and see what he is after.

Cheers
Oliver