XYW

Reaction score
My Situation - I have a FF182 at the moment. Owe about 5k on the loan I took for it, I was originally planning on upgrading to a Tomato now that I can afford the extra finance.

However, the dilemma is that work have just informed me that I am likely to be in a role worthy of a company car this time next year. - however, this isnt any company car scheme as I work for part of VAG... so think R32, for a total cost of £30 a month, v the cost of financing/running/insuring a trophy.

It seems illogical to everyone I have spoken to, but I've got my heart set on a Trophy! - and I dont want to get stung by buying it now, and having to sell it privately in 12months time.

So, what would you do???

Reaction score
Get the Trophy, have a blast for a year and then if you get the company car use the Trophy as a weekend car!!!!!

you know you want to!

Reaction score
If you can afford both get the trophy. By using the R32 as the daily driver and the trophy for the weekends you'll keep the mileage down nicely, meaning it will become one of the sought after ones with time.

Reaction score
company cars are not the perk they always used to be...unless your doing high miles (or being very creative) i hear they usually end up costing you more...
couple friends i know used their allowance to pay finance on a car which in the end they own...not hand back at end of term...
why not use your allowance to pay finance on a trophy?

Reaction score
Depends on how good the VAG scheme is - some of them are very clever and have mininmal P11D (tax) implications. Personally I would go for a Gti 30 anniversary with DSG, or if they will run to it a TTS!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jonc said:
Forget the Golf, get the new Scirocco!!!

was just about to say that... they're bound to stick the 3.2 in that. Much better than the golf.

Doubt it'll match the Trophy's drivability but for £30 a month it's a sacrifice i'd make.

Reaction score
The trouble with the 3.2 is that it is heavy, thirsty and poor torque curve compared with the 2.0T, particularly in 230 - 260 bhp verisons - makes nicer noise, but a poor second in every other respect off a motorway.

Reaction score
Scirocco R36 will be a great coupe.

I was overtaken by an R32 on the M4 a while back, it sounded very nice and appeared to be very rapid indeed. It would probably be quicker than a Trophy on a wet track but I don't think it would offer the same level of driver involvement.

My advice - get a Trophy now and sell it in a year when you can get something tasty from the VAG range (No one has mentioned the new Audi S3, far better/quicker than an R32) for £30 a month.

Chances are you won't feel like parting with it though...