Reaction score
I left my car in the garage for say over a year. What would happen to the car if it wasn't driven. I might be moving abroad for work and can't bare to sell the Trophy. My brother said if you left it that long the wheels would deform and be useless - so best to put on axle stands.

Apart from that what else could go wrong? Would the dampers seize up? Would the engine not tick over? Battery likely to be dead? Anything else anyone can think of?

Just had some scratches fixed and now considering paying for a detailing session before she goes in the garage. Good idea?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't see that as too much of a problem for that amount of time as long as you take the usual precautions, ideally you should get someone you trust to give it a run out every so often. As for the dampers, when i was talking to Ben @ BG about my spares he said that they store fine as long as they are clean and dry.

Alternatively I'm sure you'd have no problem finding someone to look after it for you. :)

Reaction score
good timing this as i've just sorned 474, will the dampers be alright then just sat there for a year with the weight of the car on it? usefull link that hoolio

Ajr

Reaction score
I would make sure the car is driven once a month really, even if it's for 5 mins. Or at least roll it forwards/backwards a foot and run the engine for a while.

When you restart the engine the oil film will have left all surfaces long ago, not that bad but it's not good either.

Tyres will definitely flat spot in a year, rotate once a month.

Brakes should be ok in garage. bearings etc don't like sitting in the same place for aaaages though, rolling the car forwards and backwards will sort that.

Or leave it on axle stands and run the engine now and then.

Oh yeah and the battery will go flat if you don't disconnect it.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Disconnect the battery, remove the wheels and deflate the tyres, obviously putting on stands.

Running the engine once a month would be recommended but if that's not possible then every 1/4 at least.

Ideally i'd change the oil before parking it up so that the carbon deposits don't harden to much - when restarting the engine these can scour the internals. Remember oil degrades over time as although synthetic, it's still based on carbon molecules.

Grease the latches, doors etc also - it'll be fresh as a daisy then when you get back into it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Battery will probably go flat anyway unless you leave it on a trickle charger.

When i said the dampers would be fine stored i meant up on stands.

Reaction score
Thanks for the initial advice Hoolio - very useful website!

Sounds like the same advice from other people so what I intend to do is:

Give the car a darn good clean. Change the Engine Oil before hand. Put the car on axle stands. Cover the car and basically leave it. Then get my brother to run the engine every fortnight for like 15 minutes and hope that keeps everything running over happily.

Either that or put the car in some container and over to where I will be going.

Reaction score
Or you can be a numpty like me! Sell it, take the depreciation hit. Move across the pond and buy another car. Decide to move back a year later. Sell that car, take a big deprection hit. Return and spend over a month looking for another Trophy, all the while being stuck using publci transportation :lol:

Can you take your car to the country in question? Some places have pretty strict requirements for what can and cannot be imported.

Reaction score
I wonder if manufacturers worry when they leave them sitting in field or on the docks for a year before someone buys from stock.

Reaction score
If you really are going away for a year may be worth selling and buying another when you return.

Depreciation could be £1500 - £2000, ever worse with Recession & unstable oil prices.
Are you still going to insure it?
Andy the cash you get could earn £300 - 400 in a bank account when you are away. (just dont spend it!)