Reaction score
Trophy No.
Okay, for one reason or another I long longer have easy access to a PC so I suppose its time I bit the bullet and got laptop'd up. Don't really know a great deal so what should I be looking for in a good one etc etc. As for budget, I would rather not be spending huge amounts but will for a good unit.

All thoughts/ opinions welcome.

Reaction score
Would you consider an Apple Mac? If you have an Apple Retailer, official or independant, go in and have a look/chat. They cost more than a PC laptop but are enjoyable to use. About £1000 for a decent one.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks F everything is on the table at the moment. The reason I'm after pointers is that the only places close to me are pc world, er no thanks.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to say Mac too depending on budget. Purely because I've found from using them they last a lot longer then any Windows computer I've had. Most PC world stores have a MAc section so you can go and play and then go away and buy somewhere else.

Reaction score
Depends on what you are going to be using the laptop for. If it's just for surfing the web, then a laptop with Windows7 will do fine. Decent ones can be had for around £400.

Reaction score
I was looking for a laptop towards the end of last year. Started off with a £400 budget in mind, purchased a few magazines seeking advice. Quickly went up to nearly £600, after a month or so i'd talked myself up to the £900 mark.

Ended up buying none of them and sticking with what i've got. Which is pants. Properly pants.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Absolutely which is why I'm after advice more on what to look for rather than particular models links where to look for advice, what magazines.
Wallingford, just south of Oxford btw.

Reaction score
Mac all the way! I work on them all day every day and wouldn't use anything else! No need for "ctrl alt del" they just work! ;o)

Reaction score
Without knowing what you will be using the laptop for and what features are important, eg, lightweight for portability, large screen for viewing movies, large hard drives for storage of photos/movies, fast processor/graphics for image and video encoding, etc, you could start by looking here for some advice http://whatlaptop.techradar.com/buying_advice

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks peeps, I'm not really interested in gadgets for gadgets sake but I do like stuff that does the job as simply as possible very well. Beginning to know where to start but keep em coming.

Reaction score
One of my friends purchased a Sony Vaio with a Blueray drive and a 17 inch screen. While watching a Blueray disc the battery only lasted 50 mins. Sadly he doesn't have any 49 min films... :roll:

True.

Reaction score
I work with them all day, big sellers in my shop, i'm on mac myself but they're pricey, the sony vaio as suggested are great laptops and some really nice ones out there don't really get many with problems either, i like some samsung laptops aswell, toshiba satellites i see a lot faulty and dell are funny on power leads, depending what you need it for, go for ram size first of all then processor and hdd size, i work for cash converters, we sell laptops for around £400 that you would pay £700+ for in most retailers and i get to see the best, and also the worst of what's out there ha ha

Reaction score