Reaction score
Hello
I SAW YOUR VEHICLE ADVERT ON THE WEB WHICH I AM INTERESTED IN
PURCHASING.I AM A BUSSINESS MAN IN THE UNITED KINGDOM,BUT I AM
BASED IN HOLLAND.I WILL BE HAPPY IF THIS VEHICLE IS MINE AS I
HAVE BEEN LONGING FOR THIS PARTICULAR MODEL.
THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION;
1) I AM OKAY WITH THE STATED PRICE OF £11,500 FOR THE VEHICLE
2) I WILL BE PAYING WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT WHICH WILL CLEAR BEFORE THE SHIPMENT OF THE CAR.
3) I WILL PAY IN EXCESS PAYMENT FOR SHIPMENT THAT MY SHIPPING AGENCY WILL USE FOR PICK-UP.
THE EXCESS FUNDS IS MEANT FOR THE SHIPPMENT CHARGES,ALSO
FOR THE SHIPPING AGENT WHO WILL COME FOR THE PICK UP OF THE
CAR IN YOUR LOCATION.
I WILL WANT YOU TO GET BACK TO ME WITH THE DETAILS AS FOLLOWS IN OTHER FOR YOU TO RECIEVE THE PAYMENT BY NEXT WEEK.
FULL NAME............................
ADDRESS........................
MOBILE PHONE NUMBER...................
THIS INFORMATION WILL BE NEEDED FOR SMOOTH TRANSACTION AS THE NAME GIVEN WILL BE ON THE CHEQUE OR BANK DRAFT AND IT WILL BE SENT TO THE ADDRESS GIVEN SO THAT YOU CAN CLEAR FUNDS AND SEND THE BALANCE TO MY SHIPPING AGENT VIA TELEGRAPHIC MONEY TRANSFER IN OTHER TO ENABLE THEM TO COME FOR PICK UP AS SOON AS YOU HAVE CLEARED FUNDS IN YOUR ACCOUNT.THE PHONE NUMBER WILL BE FOR EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION,IF YOU ARE OKAY WITH MY TERMS. PLS GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR INFORMATION REQUESTED WITH THE PRESENT LOOK OF THE VEHICLE.I BELIEVE THIS TRANSACTION IS ON THE BASIS OF TRUST,AS YOU TRUST ME WITH YOUR INFORMATION SO DO I TRUST YOU WITH MY FUNDS AND THE STATUS STATED THAT THE
CAR IS OKAY AND IN GOOD CONDITION.LOOKING FORWARD TO A HAPPY TRANSACTION.
REGARDS,
IAN McGRADY.
P.S CAN BE REACHED VIA MY MOBILE WHICH I HAVE ON

Reaction score
humm sounds dodgy! but if he does want to buy it and you get the money while your still in possesion of the car then it should be ok. only my 2 cents

Reaction score
As a lawyer - I've never seen anything like that before and therefore don't like the look of it! Seems odd to me! Far too precise and calculated!! :?:

Essentially all you have is a name and a phone number (real or not) . . . . . no details of the 'shipping company', no personal details for him (although he wants to know yours), a vague understanding that he lives in Holland etc.

It may well be a scam in which they are simply trying to launder dirty money, and worst case scenario you could end up with no money, and no car, as I doubt he will be traced if anything does go wrong!

If you are thinking of selling with this guy I would recommend asking more questions, what he does, where he's based, details of the shipping company etc and then research them to ensure he's telling the truth.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Reaction score
Ian McDodgy that is :lol:
Absolutely a scam of some variety!
That same email has likely been sent to tons of different people advertising cars, the only thing that changes is the placeholder for the amount.
'Have been longing for this particular model' :? :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
forget it. it is also worth remembering that even tho cheques, drafts etc can be cleared by the banks if yhe transaction turns out to be fruedulent they can take back the money in months time.

Reaction score
As duffer said, this scam has been around for ages.

It's been discussed on loads of different car forums.

These e-mails are just sent at random to anyone who advertises a car for sale on the web.

Reaction score
yeah the chq willl clear and you will get your money for the car but the money in the account may have originated from criminal activity.

These guys need a way to 'clean' the money, hence the term money laundering.

Buying cars is 1 way
You may be arrested for money laundering with the rest of them if you do sell.

Im a manager in a bank and hear about this all the time

Reaction score
To add my penneth, it's a scam whereby they pay by International Money Transfer. Evidently these can be reversed, so once you have paid the shipping agent with your 'cleared funds' they pull the greater amount back from your account. You may not have released the car by then but you'll still be out of pocket by a few grand.

I had a guy called 'Miller' try it on a year ago. he was African but had a 'friend' in Romford.

I also get scams from those purporting to be Barclays and PayPal, it's a scandal that they are not tracked down and banged up. How can you operate where the authorities know from your 'masked' URL who you are, and get away with it. All Barclays do is tell you not to click the link. The one I got from PayPal hoaxer really made me think that someone had used my credit card.

What's latin for 'seller beware'?

Reaction score
Found this on Pistonheads:

Foreign Buyers/Agents

The most common scam attempted via the internet is of a foreign buyer or agent wanting to buy your car or bike despite not having seen it. They say they'll agree to the asking price. The details of the scam vary, but usually start with asking for your name, address and sometimes bank details.

Sadly, you need to be suspicious of any buyers from Africa for this reason. Sometimes these scams also originate in the Netherlands.

(oh, and the Latin for seller beware is Caveat Venditor, Steve)

Reaction score
Scam.

Don't think you can win in this situation. Even if you get away with some money, which you won't, You'll be the one prosecuted for money-laundering, not them.