Reaction score
What do you all think of the new Focus RS? I'm wondering whether, after three and a half years of Trophy ownership, it might be time to P/X it against a new RS. The Megane R26R has been considered but is too much of a compromise, we're a one car house and I drive mostly motorway miles.Thoughts please.

Reaction score
Without seeing one, i think it sounds a bit expensive for what it is. But haven't really looked into it too much, or i'd want one!

Does appear to be evo money though, once you've got a couple of options on it? Although i dont really know how it compares to the evo.

It also worries me that it isn't too much different from the St, and values of them have gone through the floor.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just my penneth worth. I don't really know why people want these when they know that they are going to be doing mostly motorway miles. Keep the T for fun and buy a 2nd hand beemer.

Reaction score
Both the Focus RS and the Megane R26.R are wonderful machines, but they would be wasted on mainly motorway mileage imho. However you could argue that the Trophy is even more wasted on motorways than those machines.

Personally I'd actually go for a recent 2nd hand 'normal' R26 in your position if you really need the practicality of rear seats etc. and keep a massive load of dosh in hand.

However, if you've put up with motorway miles in the Trophy this long why change? In a few years people will pay mega-bucks for Trophies as they will be collectors items and you'll have an owned since new example.

While car prices are attractive at the moment, I reckon it's a good time to appreciate what we've got.

Nick

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
Just my penneth worth. I don't really know why people want these when they know that they are going to be doing mostly motorway miles. Keep the T for fun and buy a 2nd hand beemer.
given the current car market conditions i'd say if you're fancying a change then sell the T and buy a E36 M3 Evo, straight swap in terms of value and they won't go much lower plus they're vv quick.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
hoolio said:
given the current car market conditions i'd say if you're fancying a change then sell the T and buy a E36 M3 Evo, straight swap in terms of value and they won't go much lower plus they're vv quick.

I resisted the temptation to say that as there would then be no point in keeping the T, was thinking along the lines of being more economical fuel and tax wise but yeah an M3 would still pretty much blow my argument out of the water :)

Reaction score
I'd keep the Trophy and "simply" buy a Mazda6 MPS or Subaru Legacy Spec B. I reckon they'd be very good mile munchers and still worth a B road blat. In fact I may do that in the next 12 months or so, if a new job brings a return to the motorways.

Reaction score
Its a lot of horses to run through the front wheels.

An M3 Evo would be a great choice but the running costs compared to the trophy you will find scary.

Reaction score
do nothing.the T's a great car and in the current economic climate no one knows what our employers are considering doing.

also the Focus is just too brash for me.

Reaction score
I think Felix, or should that be Yoshi, has expressed my thoughts and doubts pretty well. The only car I kept longer than my Trophy was a BMW 318iS I had in the early 1990's and I did over 74,000 miles in that. Might try for 75,000 in the Trophy.