Reaction score
hi guys trying to make a decision as to buy a trophy a type r or a cupra r, would really appreciate some honest advise off anyone mature enough to give it please.
i want to tune the car so clearly the seat has the advantage of already having a blower on it, but on the other hand i want something limited which is why im looking into the clio.....is the clio the right car for me though are they a decent base to start playing with or are stock nternals non too strong past standard BHP?
anyone who gives any sensible advice , thanks very much.
p.s any trophy owners bloody gorgeous looking car hope your happy!!!!

Reaction score
i love it. Love everytime i drive it. I cant think of one time where i was bored sitting in it in traffic.

If you want power dont get a trophy as you will have to spend alot to gain a little. Go for the cupra if you want power

Reaction score
Cupra is a bit of a boat so avoid that unless you wanna do lots of motorway driving.
Its even worse when chipped. Ive driven a 280 bhp car and it was toilet.
The clio cant really be tuned. Well it can but it is spot on as it is. Any bhp gains will cost £££s
Civic is less involving than the trophy but a great car.
If you want to get big bhp get a rwd or 4wd jap turbo car.

Reaction score
You will always get alot more power out of the Seat but it will never compare to the driving experience of the Trophy; I've had a 230hp MTM Golf GTi so I know...

Personally I am not a big fan of Turbo lag and prefer the Trophy experience ten times more than when I had my Golf.

Trophy every time :) (you surely were not expecting that answer were you? ;) )

O.

hyb

Reaction score
If you prefer the Cupra but only have reservations because its not limited, wasn't there a Cupra R special edition? there not exactly common ! I remember asking my local dealer for a test drive, he couldn't get one anywhere!

It's a choice over power vs handling really. The only similiar car I've had would be my WRX turbo, out of the two, i'd probably take the trophy.

Reaction score
I test drove many cars before i bought the Trophy, heres what I thought...

Cupra R - fast if you mess about with it's turbo, stearing too light, car felt flimsey. I took a few corners at standard trophy speed and the traction control light went mental, tried it again with no traction and nearly had an insurance claim. cheep and nasty version of a quality german car. I hated this, ide stay away

Civic type R - fast, doesnt corner as well as you think, fantastic driving position, most reliable of the 3 with the v-tech and its jap so it's built right. But when i test drove this I felt the car make a meal of the bumps and pot holes in the road. I'de hold on for the new one. I'm not too sure about tuning this but I can say its worth buying, if the trophy never came along i'de be driving this me thinks.

Clio Trophy - wobbly trim, worst stereo and speakers of the 3, the boot lid only opens half way because of the spoiler. but voted best hot hatch ever > that must count for something... Handles great, Looks great, corners great, good 0-60, best seats, Limited to 500 in uk, Thats why i bought it. You can probobly squeeze another 15-30 hp from the car and it could handle it no probs but i dont think its worth the dosh.

I think you should get the Trophy, its the best front wheel drive hatch you'll get at this time, the only way to corner better is to look at the Scooby and higher and its the same story for tuning too.

Whatever you decide on just make sure you're happy sitting at the lights or in a que in it, happy picking up the other half and putting shopping in it and lastly enjoying the drive on those special days when the twisty county roads are clear of cops and caravans!

Reaction score
ryanaldo13 said:
I test drove many cars before i bought the Trophy, heres what I thought...

Cupra R - fast if you mess about with it's turbo, stearing too light, car felt flimsey. I took a few corners at standard trophy speed and the traction control light went mental, tried it again with no traction and nearly had an insurance claim. cheep and nasty version of a quality german car. I hated this, ide stay away

Civic type R - fast, doesnt corner as well as you think, fantastic driving position, most reliable of the 3 with the v-tech and its jap so it's built right. But when i test drove this I felt the car make a meal of the bumps and pot holes in the road. I'de hold on for the new one. I'm not too sure about tuning this but I can say its worth buying, if the trophy never came along i'de be driving this me thinks.

Clio Trophy - wobbly trim, worst stereo and speakers of the 3, the boot lid only opens half way because of the spoiler. but voted best hot hatch ever > that must count for something... Handles great, Looks great, corners great, good 0-60, best seats, Limited to 500 in uk, Thats why i bought it. You can probobly squeeze another 15-30 hp from the car and it could handle it no probs but i dont think its worth the dosh.

I think you should get the Trophy, its the best front wheel drive hatch you'll get at this time, the only way to corner better is to look at the Scooby and higher and its the same story for tuning too.

Whatever you decide on just make sure you're happy sitting at the lights or in a que in it, happy picking up the other half and putting shopping in it and lastly enjoying the drive on those special days when the twisty county roads are clear of cops and caravans!

Er...this abouts sums it up. Best car I have ever driven and I own a 205 GTI, Buy one, you'll never regret it.

Reaction score
As other have said, hold out for the new models. Think SEAT is bring out a new Cupra R and Honda have the new Type R and rumoured a new Type RR. Either way the second hand prices of the old models will drop.
I only test drove the Civic Type R and that was a bloody goot hoot. Fantastic gear box and great acceleration, lovely sounding engine too when you get it screaming. Bit spartan inside, air con was an option.
Having said that, get a Trophy and join the club.

oh and i know you don't buy these cars to get good mpg, but the civic seemed to drink petrol like it was going out of fashion.

Reaction score
I also think that financially the Trophy will also hold a better % as well as £ over 3 years... that would be reason enough for me to tip the scales.

O.

Reaction score
Whether they meant it or not, Renault built a classic with the Trophy. None of the cars mentioned feel as nimble and quick from A to B with a mere mortal at the wheel.

Reaction score
You'll get bored of having to rev to a gazillion rpm in the Civic, plus the cornering isn't up to the Trophy. Reliability should be better, but on balance, I've driven my workmat'es civic, but bought a Trophy.

Cupras can be tuned to stupid RPM, but feel like a shopping trolley when you turn in...

Reaction score
thanks for all your advice guys i think ill be joining you soon!! would would have bought the type r a long time ago but my best mate has it and thier becoming a bit of a clit car-(every cunt has one) i want somthing original. the only thing putting me off is the expense of tuning the clio over 5 k for a turbo conv. thats 1/2 the car!!!
any1 know of a clio going up for sale?- yes i will check your for sale section.
again thanks for your advice seem like a decent bunch of guys,
do yo have many meets days out or track days with the cars or is no1 into that?
any1 know the power to weight ratio of the trophy and do all mods for the 182 fit the trophy or isthe engine/ mountings slightly different?
Many thanks giles

Reaction score
Yeh the honda is a great car, but beware, i lost £6000 on mine in just over a year!! Yikes!

Reaction score
gilesallen2712 said:
the only thing putting me off is the expense of tuning the clio over 5 k for a turbo conv. thats 1/2 the car!!!

If you want to turbo the Clio then I really think you're going down the wrong road. If this is what you want then you'd be better off with a WRX STi or an Evo 7 (which is now similar money to a Trophy).

O.

hyb

Reaction score
gilesallen2712 said:
thanks for all your advice guys i think ill be joining you soon!! would would have bought the type r a long time ago but my best mate has it and thier becoming a bit of a clit car-(every **** has one) i want somthing original. the only thing putting me off is the expense of tuning the clio over 5 k for a turbo conv. thats 1/2 the car!!!
any1 know the power to weight ratio of the trophy and do all mods for the 182 fit the trophy or isthe engine/ mountings slightly different?
Many thanks giles

Allvehicles has a couple and they look minters, top guy, he's on the forums but his website is here...

http://www.allvehicles.co.uk/usedcar.htm#Renault
email : steve.coulter@gmail.com

As far as Im aware the engines are identical so all mods should be the same. There's always people going to trackdays from here, I think Nik the site owners goes every weekend, or thats what it seems :)

Power to weight I believe is 179 per tonne.

Reaction score
gilesallen2712 said:
thanks for all your advice guys i think ill be joining you soon!! would would have bought the type r a long time ago but my best mate has it and thier becoming a bit of a clit car-(every **** has one) i want somthing original. the only thing putting me off is the expense of tuning the clio over 5 k for a turbo conv. thats 1/2 the car!!!
Many thanks giles

Type R will lose value like it's gone rusty once the new one comes out, and when the RR hits the streets, it's going to make a Focus ST look like an underpowered, overweight minibus. If you like V-TEC's then wait for the new one.

Have to agree with Ollie here, if turbo-tuning is what you're after, you're infinitely better off with an Impreza or an Evo. The 182 tunes well to about 200bhp with breathing/mapping mods and isn't too expensive but you'll start getting nasty torque-steer and after that (210-240bhp) things will get very expensive.

The Trophy is pretty much perfect as it is, apart from the intermittent wiper (which alot of people have upgraded) and the occasional creaks from the cabin plastics. Many people on here have got the standard air-box with an ITG panel filter because it's better than even the best after market IK's. It's just a bit quiet.

I did a recent poll on here and it seems about half the Trophy owners have taken their car on track and another third are planning to (me included) so there will be no shortage of fellow track enthusiasts.

As Hyb says, Steve at www.allvehicles.co.uk has two in at the moment, I bought mine from him and can highly recommend him, he takes part exchanges (unless it's an 18 year old 205 GTI!) and is a true car enthusiast.

Power to Weight of the Trophy is 180bhp/1.090t = 165bhp/tonne, interestingly that's the same as a new (MK V) Golf R32.

Hope this answers everything.

Reaction score
cheers stevegunnis for the ratios- and hyb
im in touch with steve already have been for the past week or so just trying to sell mine first.
would be nice to tune but the fact that the trophy is so original is just singing it for me.