Reaction score
In Australia it was common practice to cover/remove registration plates during a track session so as to not allow dealers to know the car was on a track and void warranty.

Do any of you guys know what the stand is on warranty being void as a result of a track day (and proof of, e.g. by online photos) by dealers here?

Cheers
O.

Day

Reaction score
Renault seem to encourage you to take part in their Renaultsport days don't they?

I've had loads of warranty work done in the past, one dealer commented on my ring sticker and the worn tread on the outside of the tyre... didn't bother them :)

Reaction score
No road car is "built to do trackdays".

Legally, they could refuse to honour your warranty. But they seem to encourage them with their other hand, so i doubt youd have any issues.

Reaction score
erm, what about the Porsche GT3 RS???? don't even try to tell me that was built to be a road car!!!!!

Scooby type RA's???? (groupN)

Lotus exige?

etc etc

Day

Reaction score
iain_c said:
Clio cup and trophy are deffo track cars!!!
I'd disagree - The Clio is built for the road hence the way it's marketed. It just happens to be pretty decent on trackdays.

It specifically states in MY used car warranty documentation that any form of racing/sprint use will result in the warranty being void.

Also the GT3-RS was a homolgation excersise so they could go GT racing with it... They had to produce x amount of production road cars before hand.

Reaction score
Day said:
iain_c said:
Clio cup and trophy are deffo track cars!!!
I'd disagree - The Clio is built for the road hence the way it's marketed. It just happens to be pretty decent on trackdays.

The GT3-RS was a homolgation excersise so they could go GT racing with it...

Spot on. GT3-RS/RA Scooby is a road car produced to homologate a racing/rally car. An Exige is a road car. (an exige with a different engine, different suspension, different wheels & tyres & different brakes is pretty much a track car though...)

The Clio is nothing like a true track car. If the trophy was built as a track car it wouldnt have an interior, it would have larger brakes and different pad compounds (that wouldnt work all that well on the road), no ABS, no A/C, no EBD /no airbags, no fogs, harnesses, different seats, different fuel tank, smaller steering wheel, the suspension would be totally different (especially setup), different gearing, caged etc etc etc.

About the only car i can think of that is road legal and that IS a track car is the road legal version of the Radical SR3. But knowing someone that used to have a road legal version there wasnt much point in driving that on the road!

Reaction score
ok so you cant market a car as a "track day car" then void the warrenty because youve taken it on the track...
There was even talk of after mtk stuff like roll cages, race seats etc from reno.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I wouldn't go as far as saying they are 'Track Cars' a Clio Cup race car or something like a Radical is what i'd call a track car. They are still road cars, however the RenaultSport models, and particularly the Trophy have been marketed with track use in mind. Also Renault actively encourage Renaultsport owners to take their car on track at their organised trackdays.

The day that I get refused warranty work because the car has been used on track is the day i stop buying Renaults, unless its clearly been down to serious abuse or misuse in some way, which I dont count trackdays as being personally.

In any case, the warranty doesnt just get voided on the whole car whatever happens, you'd take the car in to fix a problem, and they would then have to argue why they think that particular fault / part shouldn't be repaired.

Reaction score
iain_c said:
ok so you cant market a car as a "track day car" then void the warrenty because youve taken it on the track...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Youve never heard of the Noble then?

Reaction score
Nik said:
I wouldn't go as far as saying they are 'Track Cars' a Clio Cup race car or something like a Radical is what i'd call a track car. They are still road cars, however the RenaultSport models, and particularly the Trophy have been marketed with track use in mind. Also Renault actively encourage Renaultsport owners to take their car on track at their organised trackdays.

The day that I get refused warranty work because the car has been used on track is the day i stop buying Renaults, unless its clearly been down to serious abuse or misuse in some way, which I dont count trackdays as being personally.

In any case, the warranty doesnt just get voided on the whole car whatever happens, you'd take the car in to fix a problem, and they would then have to argue why they think that particular fault / part shouldn't be repaired.

(tup)

Reaction score
all new cars MUST have ABS, which is gay!

its not that hard to remove though, just a ballache!