Reaction score
Hi all,

I have always upgraded brakes on my cars, as I think that it improves the car is so many ways for swift b road trips and track days and I have always been disappointed in the Trophy’s braking performance, but other people seem the be fairly pleased with them as a standard setup. Is there a reason mine could be so different to other peoples? Could the brake fluid be a reason? Is it worth going back to Renault while it is under warranty?

I wonder if you could help me regarding my brake problem. I am running the standard setup and seem to have warped my brakes from a spirited drive.

I want to keep the standard wheels and have considered the route other people take with the brembo discs and various pads, but don't want to spend the cash on that if the result is not going to be significantly different.

I have also considered looking into purchasing 4 pot callipers and along all the following routes:

1) Brembo's from a 197
2) Wilwood
3) AP Racing
4) Hi Spec
5) Comp brake

Any suggestions, advice and info on prices would be great.

Kind regards

Dom

Reaction score
maybe too much harsh braking has done it im not enitely sure how you managed that but renault won't replace them under warranty, brakes are general wear and plus you have upgraded discs/pads so its not like the discs/pads are renaults, ive had a genuine problem with my trophy and renault tried to squirm out of that one so you would be hard pressed to get anything out of them, though i agree the standard pads and discs on the trophy arent that great, maybe go with brembo discs and some ds2500 seems to be the favoured choice by some people on here

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i k now a couple of people who have put 4 pots on and they've raved about them. I'm tempted but have only just stuck on brembo max with pagid blues so won't be changing till next year i'd guess if i do.

There's a group buy over on cliosport for 4 pot compbrakes at the mo, a large saving if memory saves and these are one of the few that fit under 15" wheels - a major bonus not to be ignored if you plan on the odd track day. The brembo's and hi spec don't, i've heard a couple of peoples discks warping with the wilwood's.

Whatever you go for, if you change to 4 pot's i'd seriously consider supplying them with specific air feeds to aid cooling as the clio's brakes aren't served that well with cooling air, removing the fog lights is the choice of many.

Reaction score
Personally i think 4 pots are over the top, even after doing Donington GP circuit last year on standard brakes i was amazed how good they were.

Now upgraded to Brembo HC's & DS2500's & lines. It stops now :shock:

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought that 4 pots would be a little extreme for the Clio as they aren't exactly heavy...

...then again I've not driven a Clio with 4 pots so i don't know how they behave with them

Reaction score
I believe in making the brakes as good as they need to be for a given application, but no better, as they add unsprung weight and reduce braking feel.

I have yet to discover whether the standard brakes on the Trophy are good eneough for the application :wink:

Reaction score
I'm really unimpressed with standard Trophy brakes. IMO high carbon Brembo front discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads and braided hoses with upgrade DOT 5.1 fluid do the job on one of these. The whole job about £350 and a vast improvement in pedal feel and stopping. If you still want more stopping power after that change them next time!

(Or try one with this upgrade first?)

Reaction score
Matt Wills had Brembo 4 Pots IIRC, might be worth a pm to see what his opinions were

Reaction score
By now any trophy on it's original brakes will be due a change, as the insides of the discs are well known for corroision & the fluid will be past it's best.

Artdealer, i got that set up for around 230 fitted.

Makes a huge difference on road, just shows how good these cars can be :D

Reaction score
I think all you need is a new set of discs (brembo HC), some decent pads (ds2500 or pagid), and a little consideration - try and let them cool a little before you park the car, and certainly don't sit still with your foot on the brake pedal when they're smoking hot.

Talk to yozzasport...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
vamos said:
I believe in making the brakes as good as they need to be for a given application, but no better, as they add unsprung weight and reduce braking feel.

I have yet to discover whether the standard brakes on the Trophy are good enough for the application :wink:

The compbrake set-up is nearly 10kg lighter than the 2 pot OEM set-up :shock:

Personally I can't think how 4, 6 or 8 pistons in the calliper will stop the car any quicker than mine currently does with max disks, pagid blue pads, SS lines, Dot 4 racing fluid, and Mintex rear pads..... the tyres are now the things that are limiting the efficiency not the brakes.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
still a fair amount, 5 bags of sugar :wink: Even with the discount was still a little OTT for any of my summer plans.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
g40steve said:
hoolio said:
Even with the discount was still a little OTT for any of my summer plans.

Get yourself booked on Silverstone GP 14th March with circuit-days, see you there :wink:

On your doorstep so no excuses :D

Not an option at the moment, what with staff booked off. Besides after my last posts on RS i may well get lynched :)

Reaction score
Cue said:
wait, my mistake, it's 5kg, 2.5 each side not 5kg each side......

wow, even so that's really impressive.

:-k hmmm, will have to give this some serious thought

Reaction score
Brake less, corner harder :wink:

Sorry, no use as usual :?

I find the brakes on mine fine, sometimes have to warm them up a bit, but then all good. Completely standard all round too??!!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
my only problem with the oem set-up was fade, on track i could only do 5-6 laps of most 'proper' circuits before i'd have to start to ease off and give them a break (no pun intended).

Now though, looking back, the weren't up to much. Stopping distance has come down by a fair chunk and they don't fade at all, well the tyres are giving up the ghost before the brakes, which is always the better of the two..... having experienced entering a 3rd gear fast right hander at Croft last year after the main straight with no brakes I'd have swapped no brakes for no grip all day. Fecking scary!