Reaction score
Just had the 'Exhaust Gas Monitor Warning Light' come on. It's a yellow outline of the engine. Completed my journey and car felt fine although I did back off to 50, was on the motorway at the time. Stop and Serve bits didn't come on.

Simple question, what does the light mean? The car booklet says I should contact my dealer 'as soon as possible'. Has this happened to anyone else?

Reaction score
There are many reason this engine management light may come on. Have you modified your car in any way?

It maybe a genuine problem and could be anything to do with the engine. I had it come on once due to my Pro-Speed exhaust being a bit free flowing for the sensors own good. Sometimes its nothing to worry about, but most of the time its bad, and you should indeed have diags run.

Reaction score
The only mod I've done is to put an induction kit on the car. Would this have any impact?

My old 172 Cup had a different exhaust, induction kit and a Superchip mod. No bother at all, and quite a car especially with no ABS or traction control.

Reaction score
Hmm. Probably not. Its not that common really for a mod to do this. That means you need it checked out.

Did the car act differently when the light came on?

Anyway, don't panic right now, see what the garage says. Hopefully they will not take exception to the induction kit. It may be an idea to put the original pipe/bend back on.

Reaction score
Maybe it would be best to take the IK off before taking it to Renault, I can hear them now, 'It's because of the induction kit'! :roll:

I think this light normally comes on when decat pipes are fitted to the 182, have a look at you cat and see if your lamda sensor has come out of its position.

Good luck :D

Reaction score
And more importantly, if they do blame it on the IK, you will have to pay full costs for all investigation work.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I spoke to the dealer and they said I should get Renault Assistance out instead of bothering them. I've done that and the man plugged the car into his laptop and diagnosed a faulty knock sensor. He reckons it was probably some kind of surge that may have caused it. Its been reset and the light has now gone out. Time will tell if he was correct.

Reaction score
A month has passed and the light has returned. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Car feels okay though I've been taking it steady since it lit up on Saturday. Going to dealer tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to get the car plugged in to their diagnostic machine. They weren't interested at first and said I should go back to Renault Assistance. Told them I'd done this the first time it had appeared and felt that it was best to get it checked out properly now it has returned. I've never come across such apathy from a dealer network. I'll post an update when I've been. :(