Reaction score
Im going to look at a VX220 tomorrow! Really can't decide whether i want one or to stick with the trophy? What are peoples thoughts on the VX220? And do you think its worth the change?? Cheers

Reaction score
Hi i had the 2,2 N/A VX220 was great what one are you looing at the turbo or the N/A?

As for handling its great as you can expect! lots of feel no PAS and low to the ground mid engined with no electronics to slow you down :lol: i used it as everyday car was a little hard at times but still superb,

the NA is better round the twisties but the turbo is far quicker in a straight line the NA is ment to be better on track and few mods can make it an awsome car, no comforts tho so dont be shocked! heater is know to be sh*t (it is!)

all i can say is have a drive but think about it and what you want it for as i used it as an everday drive so after a while i was bored and just wanted out in the winter months but WOW was it great in the summer with the roof off changed the hole feel 8) if anything you should have got one just at the end of the winter as they would have been cheaper then..

good luck anything else i can answer? i will try..
Jay

Reaction score
they look great in lightning yellow

had an S2 Lotus Elise and can basically echo J07TROPHY's thoughts.

great car for summer but very basic, just about get your gym bag in.

very confidence inspiring as handle greatly, but get a bit wheezy at higher speeds (I had the 111s 160bhp)

I used mine everyday and its starts to get a bit tedious getting in and out all of the time.

I had AC on mine which is rare but had a courtesy car which was an elise and it was without AC and even with the roof off it was horible in the summer if you are in traffic.

Reaction score
cheers for all the advice! Im looking at a lightening yellow one, N/A. Its one of the limited edition ones with the black whells etc! These post are very usefull as it will be an everyday car but i think i could cope with it! i hope. we'll have to see how it goes today may have some more questions later on?? cheers again

Michael

Reaction score
test drove an S2 Elise at the weekend.... very nice and reckon combined with the Pug we have it could quite easily be used as a daily driver - though perhaps not in the winter months!!

i quite liked the raw back to basics feel of it.... although i then had a fabulous drive home in the Trophy.

drive it for as long as they'll let you..... then go back for a second test drive and see what you think then

Reaction score
I was in a similar dilemma not too long ago. However for me the Trophy trump card was that it did 90% of what the Elise could do, but with 150% the practicality and at 20% less of the total running costs (especially depreciation and insurance).

O.

Reaction score
Nice stats oliie, although I would say 60% of what an Elise can do (in the right hands) and 300% practicality, being that an Elise has only two seats and no boot worth mentioning!

VX220 is an awesome car by all accounts, just don't expect to go any quicker (at first), unless you're going for a Turbo, and you'll have to be a lot more careful lifting off into corners, especially in the wet. At the end of the day, it's a proper sports car with the engine in the right place so it'll be trickier to handle and less forgiving but more rewarding to master.

If only I could fit into one.

Reaction score
Mcoupe yes true another thing i forgot was you get alot of heat from the engine!

the Lightning will come with the hardtop too so always a bonus! i had the VSE exhaust on mine sounded so awsome pops and banged was great fun! with the roof off,

before the Trophy it was going to be the S2000 but lack of seats stop me getting one :wink:

How did you get on today then?

Reaction score
Well it wasnt a good example so was put off! but on the way home saw another trophy and the fella waved and followed me and iv never had another rs clio behind me and didnt realise how good it looks in the rear view! :D lol got me thinking alot plus theres the practicality side of things, but i still soooo want one? I think to be honest i will end up Sticking with the trophy and get a VX220 or similar when i can afford a second car! Cheers for all the feedback and intrest guys :D

Reaction score
oh shame thats yet another thing you need to look for is a good example! like any car but because its a plastic shell its quit important to check it over..

Imo the trophy has got a wow factor as its so great handling performance and looks all in one and with a boot and rear seats! vx is deffo a second car but you have most of what the vx can offer in the trophy..

Get some new bits for the Trophy :D save the money!

Reaction score
I am all ready in the process of doing this!! Looking for a yellow vx220 Turbo!! I have brought an R reg 306 D to run around in when the weather is bad etc, but planning to run the vx220 as much as possible. Clio Trophy is the best car i have ever had but dare i say its a bit to easy to drive?? i would love to keep it but cannot afford both. I brought it a year a go with 8,000 miles it has now done 26,000! if i do not sell it is going to be high milage and battered and i cannot do that to it. Still has 1 year 3 months warrenty on it so should sell ok. It will be on auto traders web site next weekend. i wanted a 172 as a second car but due to my no clains being used on the vx220 when i get it had to have a 306D. :(

Reaction score
Steve said:
and you'll have to be a lot more careful lifting off into corners, especially in the wet. .....If only I could fit into one.

Touche.. Been there and done that in a VX220 NA. ouch. and it too over 3 months off the road for all the parts to come through and get repaired. in the high of summer. Bugger.
Awesome car in the dry when driver loaded with caffine/ Red Bull. Not so good in the winter (no effective internal heating) or on greasy roads.
I also felt vulnerable (visibility by others on sweeping country roads with hedges where there's a temptation to straight line and I was coming the other way).
Oh - and the roof leaks ("they all do that, Sir") and the paintwork can craze on the fibreglass. However, good ones are very good.
Would have one again? Not as an only car!
SILKMAN

Reaction score
Agree with Silkman. I have a VX Turbo, as a second car. (as of Friday gone I have a Trophy 448 as the first :D ).
I find the VX great for when you're in the right frame of mind, and able to focus fully on the driving.
I know people do drive them as a first car, but I personally couldn't live with the impracticalities. Also when the roads are cold, damp and greasy, let alone icy, you do have to have your wits about you - and as a daily driver, it'd only be a matter of time before I'd lose concentration and stuff it! :cry: