Reaction score
since around a month or two ago, every time i fill up, i notice that the petrol dial goes down much faster than it is supposed to...however, the digital dial does not coincide with the dial. The digital dial is much more accurate.

i.e. i filled up saturday and have hardly driven the car anywhere and its saying i've gone 2 bars down, but the digital says i still have 350 miles left. I only noticed this just over a month ago in Belgium.

anyone elses the same?? Averaging 35mpg i always get horrified at the speed the dial goes down (even when the digi gauge says i haven't used that much), especially with petrol being 107.9 in my area now :shock:

so i just go with the digital gauge!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Was going to post exactly the same thing this morning, i know it goes down quickly and then stabalizes, but it was literally going down in front of my eyes :shock:

Reaction score
The digital one works off your average MPG iirc & always tends to show you can cover more miles in my experience.

One min it'll say 80 miles remaining, an overtake later & it's down to 40 miles remaining. :roll:

Reaction score
Exactly the same on mine, I just use the miles left and try and ignore the fuel guage as it is too depressing to watch it move down so fast. Impressed with 35 mpg, I average about 33 most of the time.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep the top half of the gauge seems to go down a lot quicker. It is so depressing. Especially as my old 16valver used to do half a tank before it even moved off full.

Reaction score
its strange though, because with most cars, it moves slowly at the top of the gauge and really quick at the end, but this seems the total opposite.

oh well, as you say, I just go by the digital gauge.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
might be down to the shape of the fuel tank.....

I'd never trust the digital readout, even the oil monitor. Always go on mechanical info - I ran out of petrol when it showed 40 miles left in the tank! The only time i've ever run out of petrol, good job it was 50 yards from home!

Reaction score
Since getting all my engine mods done, according to the digital, I get more mpg than I used to do before the mods. :? It's in the thirties now. Used to be in the twenties before. :?

Reaction score
I ve never noticed any change in mine even with mods.

You guys not driving quicker as your getting used to the car, so when your going quick you don't actually realise?

Just a theory!

Has anyone notice it drop dramatically when you stall then stabilise?

Reaction score
Trip comuters are never really that accurate, like someone said you can break down with 40 miles still showing, or sometimes you can do another 15 miles with it reading zero. Its just calculated using your mpg which isnt exactly accurate in the first place so the readings are bound to be wrong

Reaction score
Mine sticks around 33.5 mpg, but you are correct the first few bars on the gauge do go down kinda quickly :shock:

Might try seeing just how much more it can actually take next time i fill her up, after the pump starts klicking :?