Reaction score
Hi All,

I can't find Michelin PE2s now so are people using PE3s and is ok to use PE2s and PE3S at the same time???

Lastly, what is the difference between them?

Regards,

jsgthomson

Reaction score
The PE2's have been discontinued some years ago now so any that may have been available were 'old' stock'.

I believe most people who want michelins go for the PS3's Pilot Sport in 205/45R 16 87W XL

There are other choices out there though.

Reaction score
I think two tyres on one wheel is a bit silly :)

But if one sort is on the back and one on the front then yes fine, as long as you're aware that during spirited driving the front and rear may have different behaviour because of the different tyres...but the front and rear will have different behaviour anyway so don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I thought the size was 205/45 R16 83 V... Which is not what you have stated above...??? Can someone confirm please..

Thank you!

jsthomson

Reaction score
You are correct the standard factory tyres are 205/45 R 16 83v

But i think people prefer the PS3's in the 87w XL because they have stiffer sidewalls so not so much flex in the corners over the 83v PS3's

Hope that clears things up ?

Reaction score
Yes it is does a little... but is the upgrade worth it or just a 'really nice to have???' The PE2s 83s were grippy enough for me or are the PE3s 83 Vs softer than their predecessor???

Apologies for all the questions!

Regards,

jsgthomson

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just a quick correction the replacements are Pilot Sport 3, PS3. This is the same quandary that we are all going to have to face, by all accounts the PS3's have lost a lot of the feedback that the PE2's used impart through the steering, a major part of the T's attraction. They are apparently still a great tyre but unfortunately they follow the 2's which were a perfect fit for the T.

Reaction score
The 'pilot' thickens!!! :)

So is the jury still out on which tyre to go for or is Carbon Chaos right it what he ish thinking?
I'm needing 4 new tyres so wanting to get it right it guess!!

jsthomson

Reaction score
He's right in what he's saying. At the end of the day pe2's are discontinued so you either go with the PS3's and go for the Xl (extra load stiffer reinforced sidewalls) or something else

Reaction score
personally i hated my car on PS3's, there alot of decent tyres out there, im on my second set of Hankook V12 Evo's which are also 87W XL and im loving them, not quite as good as the PE2's but only £65 each fitted at my local tyre place!

Reaction score
Avoid Bridgestone Potenza RE002 Adrenaline.

Terrible tyre. Sidewalls are to weak and the whole
car only wobbles around.

I will switch to Michelin PS3.

The Michelin Exalto is still available in 195/45/16
and the Bridgestone RE050a, too. Very good
tyres. !!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm currently on 4 PS3 V's, I find them ok but the car has definitely lost some 'feel' when compared to the PE2s.

I had a stint on a set of AD08s and they were better than the PE2s in my opinion. A bit more expensive and wore out quicker, but they gave me the 'feel' back and a whole load more grip than the PE2s as well. Not too bad in adverse road conditions but I never pushed my luck in those situations anyway.

I will be trying the PS3 'W' version next, to see if I can recuperate some of the feel lost by changing to the PS3 V.

Happy hunting.

Reaction score
Out of interest, how many miles did you get out of the Yokohamas, Hodgy?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not many, I only managed about a years worth on them, 7K ish. Drove them all through the winter too, didn't really have a problem with them in adverse conditions. The short mileage was also down to my own mistake as well. I put camber bolts on the car set to -1.5° and whilst I had phenomenal turn in it wore out the inside edges of the tyres very quickly. Needless to say all has been returned to standard now! I would imagine if I had not done this they would have lasted somewhere around 3/4 as long as a set of PS3s. They were definitely a softer compound, you could feel it just by pushing your finger into the rubber (very scientific I know).

If I was only going to use the car in the summer I would definitely have them on all the time, without a single moments hesitation, but for me the best option is currently the PS3. I am just waiting to try out the W rated version when the Vs I have at the moment wear out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm also running similar camber so perhaps I'll rotate mine front to rear every month or so.

Cheers

Reaction score
I have just fitted hankook v12 on my trophy and at the moment it's like my back wheels are loose???? They grip but too flexi?? I hope this is a running in period, they are scary and lethal at the moment

Reaction score
Now my hankooks have done few miles, they are fantastic. More traction than the mitchelin's wet and dry

Reaction score
For what driving will you use the tires?

Road or Track or road an track?