Reaction score
i need bit help here i want to upgrade again and its either turbo or throttle bodies with stand alone ecu? any ideas :shock:

Reaction score
It depends on Budget and preference, i'm a fan of N/A that's the reason i'm going down the TB route :D

I would imagine a turbo has the potential to increase your bhp figure more, so if that's what your after then a Blown conversion is required.

I'm staying away from a blown conversion due to the penalties imposed if/when i go competing as most series run the 1.7 rule, and a blown clio just cannot keep pace with tuned m3's etc

It's a lot more expensive though to get the figures out of N/A engine, raising the comp, Tb's, etc

Chris

Reaction score
It really is a slippery slope.

If you buy ITB's (£2500) how long will it be before you want more eg cams (£500-600 + labour) then once you've spent that much the next logical step is high comp pistons which in turn will need uprated rods, head gasket set, cam belt kit, aux belt kit, oil, filters, coolant, labour and wham you've just done £5k+ on your clio.

But it's the same with any form of tuning (N/A, turbo, Super), if you wnat serious results you need to spend serious money unfortunatley.

Another thing is the use of the car. For road where low down torque and driveabilty is more usefull then a forced induction setup would be better, but N/A is often favoured, due to it's high revving nature (where peak torque and power are produced high) as the induction choice for track work.

There really is something out there for everyone it just depends how much you want to spend.

For example you could spend £1000+ on matched inlets, cams, remap which might give you an extra 20bhp and knock your 0-60 down by .3 of a second then take it to the pod and be humbled by someone running a lightened, stock 172 with better reactions than yourself.

Which brings us back to what most people in the know will advise, and thats driver training is the best form of tuning money can buy and as an added benefit its also transferable to your next car.

Just my take on things.

Steve

Reaction score
480bhp.com said:
I'm staying away from a blown conversion due to the penalties imposed if/when i go competing as most series run the 1.7 rule, and a blown clio just cannot keep pace with tuned m3's etc

Chris

Are you coming to the hills and sprints then Chris?

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
480bhp.com said:

Chris

Are you coming to the hills and sprints then Chris?

Yeah i'm fancing a bit of sprinting, but i'll no doubt be in the modified class or at worst sports libre, i'll struggle to be competitive in either of those classes as there will be a lot more potent kit out there.
It's more for a bit of fun (to start with :wink: ) and to accompany the trackdays i'll be doing.

I was tempted to run in the performance chip tuning series, but again the car is not competitive enough seeing as the class it would run it ranges from 1600-2500cc, in that class there was a ex m3 touring car running (90's style) which beat the next in class by around 10-20 seconds per lap :eek: :eek: and lapped them every race. Having said that i think he may have wrote the car off now :(

Chris

Reaction score
aarontrophy said:
i need bit help here i want to upgrade again and its either turbo or throttle bodies with stand alone ecu? any ideas :shock:

If you want something faster, get a faster car. Enjoy the Trophy for what it does in the bends and then move on. Don't waste 4k for such a tiny power increase.

Reaction score
Which is why, sad as it was, I went for the DC5, as the best off the shelf option in the 2.0 litre class. So far quicker than the T, even without engine mods.

Reaction score
George K said:
Which is why, sad as it was, I went for the DC5, as the best off the shelf option in the 2.0 litre class. So far quicker than the T, even without engine mods.

Is it a winner yet George :?: