Reaction score
Limiited information im afraid but ill speak to the owner again when i pick it up Saturday and ill happily take pictures for anyone interested. I understand the auto leveling system has not been retrofitted, the headlights are just adjusted using the normal in car 'toggle'

R2TR

Reaction score
Race2theredline said:
Limiited information im afraid but ill speak to the owner again when i pick it up Saturday and ill happily take pictures for anyone interested. I understand the auto leveling system has not been retrofitted, the headlights are just adjusted using the normal in car 'toggle'

R2TR

This could be a big problem... with Xenons you are required by law to have:

- Self levelling projectors
- Washing jets

This is because the Xenon beam is much brighter than your standard non-HID unit. Any mis-direction of the beam, even slight, can be a potential lethal hazard for another road user coming the opposite way on the road.

What does this mean in practice?

It means that day-to-day you probably won't have a problem and if correctly lined up will still pass an MOT. However if you were to have an accident at night, an independent test may find your headlights to be illegal (which for example caused the oncoming car to be momentarily blinded) resulting in your negligence. This may mean that the insurance company won't pay out.

It's a small risk, but from what I understand of the Clio Xenons, probably not worth it. Most say they are quite useless nonetheless. Plus, you've added about 10kg to the front of the car ;)

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
Race2theredline said:

R2TR

This could be a big problem... with Xenons you are required by law to have:

- Self levelling projectors
- Washing jets

This is because the Xenon beam is much brighter than your standard non-HID unit. Any mis-direction of the beam, even slight, can be a potential lethal hazard for another road user coming the opposite way on the road.

What does this mean in practice?

It means that day-to-day you probably won't have a problem and if correctly lined up will still pass an MOT. However if you were to have an accident at night, an independent test may find your headlights to be illegal (which for example caused the oncoming car to be momentarily blinded) resulting in your negligence. This may mean that the insurance company won't pay out.

It's a small risk, but from what I understand of the Clio Xenons, probably not worth it. Most say they are quite useless nonetheless. Plus, you've added about 10kg to the front of the car ;)

Cheers
O.

Thank you for the advice, I’d read the legalities regarding this on Cliosport so Ill be reverting to the standard headlights (albeit with upgraded bulbs)

Anyone want to buy a set of Xenon headlights :wink:

R2TR

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't want to put a downer on your purchase but there are a couple of things you need to bear in mind regarding this.
1/ You say it retains the standard lights, do the xenons use the original light assembly? They are about £90 a pop.
2/ If the light assembly needs to be swopped the bumper has to come off :shock:

You've probably got nothing to worry about and someone will come along and put me right please.

Reaction score
Thankfully the lights where bought as a complete kit from Renault and as such both sets retain all fittings etc, my father has a workshop so ill take the opportunity to change the lights and perform a few other things at the same time. :)

R2TR

Reaction score
Congrats R2TR. Well done for retrofitting the halogen lights too, you won't find a problem with them and I fu(king hate Xenons on other cars anyway, most of the time they're not set up properly and it's brighter than full beam in your face, these things should be illegal full stop.

Post up your number in the Owners Register for you Trophy Owner status and third star.

RTTRAOTCEF

(Race through the Redline and on to catastrophic engine failure)

Reaction score
Steve said:
Congrats R2TR. Well done for retrofitting the halogen lights too, you won't find a problem with them and I fu(king hate Xenons on other cars anyway, most of the time they're not set up properly and it's brighter than full beam in your face, these things should be illegal full stop.

Post up your number in the Owners Register for you Trophy Owner status and third star.

RTTRAOTCEF

(Race through the Redline and on to catastrophic engine failure)

The car is number 219, I will post some pictures after its first detail this weekend or next.

R2TR

P.S rest assured there wont be any 'racing through the redline', only perfectly match upshirts and heel toe downshifts :wink:

Reaction score
Put your details on the owners register and you'll earn yourself a star R2TR :D

Enjoy the tomato :D :lol: