Reaction score
Evening everyone.

I've been umming and ahhing about selling the Clio for a while now, it's costing a fair bit to run which isn't great when I have another expensive hobby.
So i've decided I should probably try to get a cheaper car that's as fun and although i've looked at MX-5s and the like (rear wheel drive itch could do with a scratch), I keep being drawn to old Peugeots. I've been around 80's/90's Peugeots since I can really remember although never the quick petrol ones and I really want one.

I've looked at the 106 Rallye, 306 GTI-6/Rallye, 309 GTI, 405 MI16/T16 but the one that really grabs me is the 205 1.9, especially in Miami blue with the red carpets!

Has anyone here lived with one and how do they compare to the Trophy? i'm interested to hear anything anyone has to say about them and for that matter anything else on that list.

I understand it's a much older car and it's slower and all that but it doesn't worry me. Only massive downside so far is the loss of aircon I guess.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I can't really comment on the 205 as such as I've never driven one :( but I wouldn't worry too much about it being slower. As an owner of another of the 80's hot hatch classics you will find that because of the meagre 900kgs it will have a very similar feel to the T. I neve bore of driving the 5GTT but I don't have to use it as a daily and that's another thing they are old and relying on it every day rain or shine hot or cold would be a step too far for me.

BTW so what's the other expensive hobby then? ;);)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey sonic.

I love 205 GTi's. I owned one for eight and a half years. They are so much more than the some of their parts in such a way that Peugeot accidentally created more than they intended.

It starts with the driving position. There's no adjustment other than the seat forward/back but the relationship between gearstick, pedals and 'wheel is perfect. You sit very low in the car. The gear change is so fast the only thing slowing the changes down will be how fast you can move your arm. Then there's the way the car feels... it's as if the whole car gels together with enthusiasm for driving. I remember one magazine at the time said it had more zest than a truck load of lemons. Which is the kind of feeling the car exudes.

Most people rate the 1.6 as the more balanced handling car, but prices suggest it simply isn't as desireable. While some others reckon the 309GTi is better handling than the 205. Such a pretty car too, the 205 GTi. Especially without the large sunroof which slides externally on top of the roof and spoils the line of the car.

Having owned one i find it interesting you say you want to save money on running costs. From my experience they will not be as reliable as the Clio. Prices of them have risen the past year. A straight tidy example will probably be 2k+, (and probably still have rust in a few places) while a nice example will be 4k+.

They are not as chuckable as the T or as forgivable to drive. There's no TC or ABS to help you out if you overstep the mark, nor are there any airbags or side impact bars. And the car is so small and light and flimsy that you are very aware that a crash is probably going to hurt you. There's still a place for a 205 in my perfect 10 car garage. It's still my favorite car that i've owned.

They are a car that gets under your skin and makes you smile just thinking about driving it. Let me know what you think to them if you drive one.

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3717505.htm

Reaction score
I agree with what the guys have said above. I had a Miami Blue 205 prior to the Trophy, and although it is an absolute classic its not the best if using as a daily. Reliability was always an issue as was rust. Purely for weekend driving nothing beats the 205, but the T is the better all round package, and offers better MPG aswell.

Reaction score
Is the 1.9l actually that much quicker than the 1.6l? A friend of mine owned both and said their was nothing in it. Personally i couldn't go from the T to a 205 especially as a road car.

Reaction score
I'll miss the overtaking ability but the fact that it's slower doesn't really worry me. It's more the whole experience.

If I get one it'll be my 3rd 205. First was my first car, a 1.1 Junior which didn't last long although that wasn't because I crashed it, just got replaced with a larger engined car that was slower, but that's another story. The second was a turbo diesel which I had a few years ago. I ran it daily for over a year without a problem and I sold it with over 175,000 miles on it. Wonderful car, sunroof leaked, most panels were dented, the laquer was peeling in several places and it made its own smoke/sootscreen but god it was so much fun and had more character than just about anything else i've driven. It was also better built than the Clio, which I find interesting!

@Hoolio: I hold a PPL with around 200 hours. I hardly ever fly now though, last time was early december and selling the Clio will help. Due to the amount of money i've spent, that little brown wallet means more to me than the car.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry I messed up that post a little!

@Felix. I've heard that about the 309, due to the longer wheelbase apparently? There's a red one for sale up north at the mo which is very tempting.
I want one with the sunroof funnily enough. My diesel had it and despite the downsides ( I wouldn't be able to have the full leather interior for instance) I really enjoyed the wind in the hair feeling.
I know about the cars reputation, its vices and it's lack of safety but they're part of the appeal for me. It's how i'd want my supercar to be if I could ever afford one. Wether that would get tiring or not would have to be seen.

I agree the rust would be a pain but I can afford (with the sale of the Clio) to find a good one, although not to the standard of the one in that advert. Bit much, plus it's white:p

I'll also agree that going from the Clio to a 205 everyday will be a bit of a shock, maybe even a bit mental, but I really want to scratch the itch and as long as it's reliable (3 reliable frenchies now) then hopefully it won't be a problem.
Also I hope the mpg will be high enough to be cheaper overall with the use of normal unleaded. Time may tell.

Reaction score
My friend has both, a black 205 1.9GTi and a Clio 172 phase 2 & the Clio now has 125,000 miles on it and we've done trackdays at Blyton & Cadwell, plus over 150laps of Castle Combe & still feels strong. His 205 has about 110,000 & feels like its going to fall to bits. The gear change is so long and soggy it's untrue, the seats rock on the bases, the steering column flexes the it's goes on. It was his daily driver until the Clio came along about 5 years ago and he keeps promising to fix it up.

My next door neighbour's friend runs Pug-1-Off and until the birth of triplets!!!!! He used to run a met green 205 with 306 GTi6 conversion, with the bonnet from a 205 automatic which has has a subtle bulge in it allowing the 306 engine sit perfect, and the 309 GTi rear beam which gives a wider track and much better stability. It was a very quick car, much quicker than my Trophy.

In the mid 90's I was drawn to them but bought two R5GTT's and never regretted it as just felt like a better around package to me, though The met blue one is still desirable.

Forgot to add, flying is not a cheap hobby, especially at places that employ folk like me. I'm an Air Traffic Controller.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are a very old car now in basic design and it does show in terms of quality. The Clio does have a much more solid feel but the way the speaker surrounds rattle annoys me and my 205's never did that. Guess I should just sort it and stop complaining! I intend to test drive a few as soon as possible though.

The Mi16/GTI-6 engined cars hold a certain appeal for me but I want a standard one. I wouldn't say no of course though if i'm having trouble running the Clio....
I'm sorry to say i've never liked the 5. I know people who've had them and they loved them like yourselves but they've never grabbed my heart strings like the 205. Pretty quick and look ok though.

I've booked Thruxton's Archer for most of the 8th and I really absolutely cannot wait, despite the fact that I don't really know where to go yet. I didn't realise how much I missed it till now, despite the expense. I remember us talking about that a while ago but i'm afraid I can't remember where you said you worked. Where was it?

Reaction score
I'm currently at Coventry but working through my 3 month notice period before I move to Birmingham which is exciting with the new control tower bring built, runway extension, new primary radar on sure, new ILS both ends etc etc massive investment. Been to Thruxton a few times for BTCC.

If you get chance to fly to Cov & I was working I'd shoHw you around the tower no problem, see the view from VCR (visual control room) and radar where I can wind it out to 80miles.

Though to be fair apart from AirBase with stuff like Venom, Vampire, Meteor, Jet Provost, De Haviland Dove etc all airworthy which is part of Classic Flight there is not much exciting to see at Cov lol

Reaction score
Trophy No.
In the mid 90's I was drawn to them but bought two R5GTT's and never regretted it as just felt like a better around package to me, though The met blue one is still desirable.
abs

Can someone block this joker, fairly harmless I know but still annoying.

Reaction score
I'm currently at Coventry but working through my 3 month notice period before I move to Birmingham which is exciting with the new control tower bring built, runway extension, new primary radar on sure, new ILS both ends etc etc massive investment. Been to Thruxton a few times for BTCC.

If you get chance to fly to Cov & I was working I'd shoHw you around the tower no problem, see the view from VCR (visual control room) and radar where I can wind it out to 80miles.

Though to be fair apart from AirBase with stuff like Venom, Vampire, Meteor, Jet Provost, De Haviland Dove etc all airworthy which is part of Classic Flight there is not much exciting to see at Cov lol

That's a great offer, thankyou very much. I'll look to taking you up on that. Weekends or weekdays? I may end up speaking to you anyway as I've been told I can come and get a look around XM655 at Wellesbourne.

So many things to do, not enough money to do them with!

Reaction score
That's a great offer, thankyou very much. I'll look to taking you up on that. Weekends or weekdays? I may end up speaking to you anyway as I've been told I can come and get a look around XM655 at Wellesbourne.

So many things to do, not enough money to do them with!

I work shifts therefore work weekdays and weekends depending where the shift pattern falls. Wellesbourne is about 5 mins flying time from Cov so very close. Getting a good look round XM655 is def worth doing. We had the Vulcan land with us two summers ago as part of a celebration of flight at Cov, had Tornado, Venom, Meteor and Jet Provost & DC3 all do flyby's which was very cool.

Drop me a pm or email and I'll let you know when I'm on duty.

Forgot to add, although not open to the public there are a few cars kept in hangers and one is a 1904 IIRC but could be wrong on year Renault that was the personal transport of Louis Renault, remarkable thing that the owner has actually done a 'very slow' lap of Le Mans in.

Last edited: