Reaction score
|I've suffered three punctures. All of which required a new tyre. And in each case the Michelin PE2 needed to be ordered - so my 'baby' was off the road until the new tyre arrived. Pain in the ass, but looking at the other tyre related forums it seems that this is the only tyre for the Trophy. I'd agree - it's worth the wait and I wouldn't fit anything else. Anyone else got any compelling arguments to fit another tyre?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've tried it on yokohama's and I'm sticking with the PE2's until I hear about something better... They are definately better than the Yoko's.

Reaction score
aodonovan said:
|I've suffered three punctures. All of which required a new tyre. And in each case the Michelin PE2 needed to be ordered - so my 'baby' was off the road until the new tyre arrived. Pain in the ass, but looking at the other tyre related forums it seems that this is the only tyre for the Trophy. I'd agree - it's worth the wait and I wouldn't fit anything else. Anyone else got any compelling arguments to fit another tyre?

Hey dude, haven't heard from you in a while, when are you, me and Olly (chiefbadger) going to go for a local runaround? I've seen a few Trophy's in Brighton now and a whole load of 182's last time I was in Worthing (seems the Saxo boys have upgraded).

On the PE2's - I've got two new ones wating to be fitted in my mum's shed (!), personally I wouldn't go for anything else, be like taking Michael Johnson's gold Nike's away.

Reaction score
What about the toyo r888? The side walls on the pe2s are so damn soft, that is my only problem with them.

Reaction score
richyboy123 said:
What about the toyo r888? The side walls on the pe2s are so damn soft, that is my only problem with them.

Were you the one with stress bulges in the sidewalls after a couple of laps of SIlverstone? Quite a worry, as you say, stick like sh1t to a gluey shoe though.

Reaction score
Steve said:
richyboy123 said:

Were you the one with stress bulges in the sidewalls after a couple of laps of SIlverstone? Quite a worry, as you say, stick like sh1t to a gluey shoe though.

What are stress bulges? Would higher tyre pressure cure the sidewall issue or are mine crap because they are nearing the end of their life? I haven't taken this car on track yet, I'm thinking about saving for a dedicated track car and using the trophy for the road.

Reaction score
Toyo R888 also have relatively soft sidewalls - but as for the Pilot cup do not come in the right size. Like all track tyres they only have about 4 mm of tread - OK in the wer, but useless in standing water.

In 205/45 your options are:

Track tyre Kumho V70A - in soft, medium or hard - you can tell how stiff the sidewalls are asfor hill climbing I set them at 26/24. About 2 secs quicker in 50 wet or dry than PE2.

Road tread and rubber with track type sidewalls - Hankook RS2 - run at 28/26. A friend finds them better dry or wet at Brands than PE2 and is getting excellent wear.

Last time I spoke to them, Yokohama did not recommend the Parada for serious trackwork, they still prefer the A539 - some other comptetitors run them when they are not allowed to use trackday tyres - quick in the dry not so good in the wet.

For raod use I would follow the general opinion and stay with PE2. For mixed road and track use the Hankook is worth serious consideration.

If you want ot run a spare cset of wheels for track work, then the best option is possibly to go down to 15", when the choice of tyre is much wider.

Reaction score
^^ are these them???

mytyres,

VENTUS RS-2 Z212 205/45 ZR16 83W 4PR NEW

Summer tyres
Speed W: the speed capability of this tires is up to 168 mph/270 km/h !
We only supply the tire. If there is a rim shown on the picture, it is just to symbolize.
Search for fitting station

With us only £ 56.30

Reaction score
g40steve said:
mytyres, With us only £ 56.30

Billy bargain! Certainly worth considering as I will be needing new boots all round in the near future... :-k

Reaction score
Hill climbs only - as I do only short runs - say 8 x 50 seconds per event, I went for super soft. I reckon one track day would destroy them - but for my application they are fabulous - very predictable and as I said earlier good in the wet - I always try to remember to turn off the T/c as it is much quicker without it. Can't comment on the harder grades - mine have a treadwear index of 50. Awful as a road tyre - they pick up every little stone which then buries itself into the tread.

Reaction score
I had continentals on my CSL and they were terrible. I think I am going to get the hankook next on the trophy.

Reaction score
Hope the Hankook work out - it is always worrying making unusual recommendations. Just make sure that they are the RS2 Z212