Reaction score
i'd be lying if i said i didn't like the DC5, I love it. A mate of mine has a blue one with white aftermarket 18 inch wheels and it is the best example I have seen, its gorgeous.

however, this early in my life, I only want to buy faster cars and would never spend almost 1.5 times the money of the trophy, for something around the same performance bracket.

for me after a couple of years of trophy ownership (and by the time insurers wont laugh at me down the phone) i'll be looking for something faster in a straight line aswell as still awesome through the corners....exige, m3/csl, evo, or skline r34 gtr....or i could try and buy my parents noble off them :lol:

Reaction score
Noble would be good, I love those things.

Did anyone read the Audi R8 group test in EVO yet? I won't spoil it suffice to say it's the dawning of a new era! That thing is quicker than a Koeniggsegg CCX around the track and £78K, a performance bargain.

Reaction score
Steve said:
...and you're really not helping either SpaceMonkey! So are you telling me the only reason you changed to a 182 was the insurance costs? Or did you fancy a change too?

Sorry Steve, the reason for my change was the DC5 stood me in @ 15K & I needed to free some money to buy a scooter to start the "Knowledge of London" to become a taxi driver.
So I sold the DC5, bought my 182 outright (Chose to go to 182 rather than back to EP3 CTR, would of a been step backwards imo) & bought my scooter.

Was purley down to intial purchase price & value I changed.
Hope this clears things up a bit mate.

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
i'd be lying if i said i didn't like the DC5, I love it. A mate of mine has a blue one with white aftermarket 18 inch wheels and it is the best example I have seen, its gorgeous.

Thats Rob isn't it Matt? :wink:

I know him too, nice lad & now his car has been KPRO'd is it truely awesome. :twisted:

Reaction score
SpaceMonkey said:
Matt X2C said:

Thats Rob isn't it Matt? :wink:

I know him too, nice lad & now his car has been KPRO'd is it truely awesome. :twisted:

Yup, thats Rob. Awesome car!

Reaction score
KPOR'd?

Thanks SpaceMonkey, didn't mean to quiz you on it too much, you'll be a useful guy to know if I do decide to get one. There are a few on the itr website for sale for around the £10K mark, apparently the values are plummeting because the market is being flooded with them, a good time to buy? (Not that I would be able to give the Trophy away, it seems!)

Reaction score
Steve said:
KPOR'd?

Thanks SpaceMonkey, didn't mean to quiz you on it too much, you'll be a useful guy to know if I do decide to get one. There are a few on the itr website for sale for around the £10K mark, apparently the values are plummeting because the market is being flooded with them, a good time to buy? (Not that I would be able to give the Trophy away, it seems!)

KPRO is a daughter board thats installed on the ECU & then you can remap.
You get fantastic gains from them. Normally opens the VTEC window up fully by 5,000rpm & can extend the limiter, although no need to on the Teg as the limiter is already sitting @ 8,400rpm. Mid range gains can be as much as 25bhp, but with a decent manifold, induction & exhaust this can be more. Due to the bigger VTEC window you don't have to chase the limiter although it is still very beneficial. :wink:

The arse has dropped out of the market in a big way, another reason I sold mine tbh.
I knew it was going to happen & my car was worth every penny of 15K when I sold it. Now I'd be lucky to see 13.5K imo.
Now is a good time to buy tbh, but the value will continue to drop for a while yet imo.
The facelift is already becoming readily availible on these shores & the 1st JDM CTR is already on a boat iirc.

Reaction score
Thanks, I have decided the new JDM Civic is not for me, as much as I recognise it is an outstanding car for the money, very little competition really. I would much rather have the lighter 2-door Teg (personally I prefer the pre-facelifted version, were there any mechanical changes?) for less money, I'm not too bothered that it's a second slower around Tsukuba!

Interesting about the VTEC point being dropped, this would be fantastic as it's normally set at 6000rpm? I love the idea of a 8400rpm red-line, there's so much fun to be had revving a N/A engine, people are getting far too lazy these days which is why even the smallest hatchbacks are getting light pressure turbos.

I might wait for the market to bottom out, I imagine the Civic won't help Teg residuals.

Reaction score
Steve said:
Thanks, I have decided the new JDM Civic is not for me, as much as I recognise it is an outstanding car for the money, very little competition really. I would much rather have the lighter 2-door Teg (personally I prefer the pre-facelifted version, were there any mechanical changes?) for less money, I'm not too bothered that it's a second slower around Tsukuba!

Interesting about the VTEC point being dropped, this would be fantastic as it's normally set at 6000rpm? I love the idea of a 8400rpm red-line, there's so much fun to be had revving a N/A engine, people are getting far too lazy these days which is why even the smallest hatchbacks are getting light pressure turbos.

I might wait for the market to bottom out, I imagine the Civic won't help Teg residuals.

I had the pre-facelift & much prefer it. The facelift looks too soft imo. All the bumpers are rounded off too much for my liking tbh.
The facelift does have some changes, but nothing mechanical iirc.

The VTEC change over is normally 5,800rpm & will pull HARD to the limiter in the DC5, much the same as the CTR tbh. It does make you appreciate driving the car to limits working the engine too, goes hand in hand in my experience.

Thats my thinking on residuals too Steve ;)

Here's the info & some pics on my old DC5: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthre ... 5+for+sale

Reaction score
Ouch! Must have killed you seeing someone drive that away! Stunning car (Auction level 5 I see), personally I wouldn't have changed the gear knob and would have kept the wheels white but I love the Spoon mods and even the CF bonnet looks good on that car. I hadn't seen a blue interior before either, I think the Red suits the White car better but that's probably a lot more common.

My favourite pic is the one where you've parked up on the verge next to a sign saying' No Parking on verge, Max Penalty...' :lol:

Reaction score
Steve said:
Ouch! Must have killed you seeing someone drive that away! Stunning car (Auction level 5 I see), personally I wouldn't have changed the gear knob and would have kept the wheels white but I love the Spoon mods and even the CF bonnet looks good on that car. I hadn't seen a blue interior before either, I think the Red suits the White car better but that's probably a lot more common.

My favourite pic is the one where you've parked up on the verge next to a sign saying' No Parking on verge, Max Penalty...' :lol:

Funny enough it was a Trophy owner that bought it :wink:

It was MINT tbh Steve. I people I bought the car from were lovely & we are still friends to this day. I changed the gear knob as the OEM one was too tall for me, the smaller ball like one was easier for me to use if that makes any sense?
The wheels were already done & looked 10x better in the metal tbh.
The other mods are all top of line too, the cat-back was titanium & only weighed 4.75kg all in. Tom @ TGM that looked after the car loved it & commented on it's condition when he worked on it.
There was no other CW with blue interior in Europe. The old owners swapped em out & I personally preferred it, alot of people commmented last year @ JAE.

:lol: Irony, gotta love it

Reaction score
Aye spot on motor that SpaceMonkey.

I don't think I could ever part with a car of that standard.

Teg does fit into the saloon rocket category of Evos and Scooby's. That puts me of the Teg!

Reaction score
EVO classed the DC2 as a coupe, but you could argue its a hatchback, it's got a more useful boot than ours, and it's a front-driver which is why it gave us a pasting in the 'best FWD car ever' group test. I would never compare the DC5 with an STI or EVO, not a saloon for a start and substantially lighter, even though it's quicker than a WRX on the straights and bends.

I can't help thinking that if I didn't own a Trophy, I'd be hankering after one, it's just my sort of car; compact. light and chuckable. I'd like to make it weigh even less and give it a nice round 200bhp, but then it's not a Trophy any more, one of the best things about it is it's a rare breed of performance car where the chassis outshines the engine and is rarely troubled by it, where do the 'enhancements' end? I think sometimes it would be better to buy lots of different cars, try them out for a while, change them before you're bored and then go back to ones you like. That way I won't end up ruining a great car. I don't know.

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
Aye spot on motor that SpaceMonkey.

I don't think I could ever part with a car of that standard.

Teg does fit into the saloon rocket category of Evos and Scooby's. That puts me of the Teg!

Thank you for the compliment :wink:

Was difficult to let go, but needs must.

It is a Coupe imo. Like Steve says the boots are like a cave. Was unreal how much luggage you could get in it tbh.

Reaction score
FAO Spacemonkey - I never realised that was your car. I remember seeing that thread on cliosport ages ago and I take back what I said....Rob's is the second best DC5 example, that is the best. I think i wet myself when I originally saw it and even done an insurance quote immediately to see if i could get insured on it as I wanted to buy it as I didn't have the trophy at the time.

Awesome car, you done well to part with that, don't think i could have done!

Reaction score
:lol: Cheers Matt

Rob liked her too.
Suprised you never spotted it out & about as your just round the corner from me.
Although she didn't come out to play in the wet tbh :oops:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That is quite nice :wink: i'm not normally a massive fan, but i tend to get a bit too precious about my stuff and i think i would have been just too scared to drive that in fear of stuffing it through a hedge backwards.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
That is quite nice :wink: i'm not normally a massive fan, but i tend to get a bit too precious about my stuff and i think i would have been just too scared to drive that in fear of stuffing it through a hedge backwards.

:lol: She was quite easy to drive hard imo.
The LSD made cornering a question of bravery rather than skill in some situations tbh.
You get her into a corner & settled & then just plant your foot (Had to be the right gear of course) & she'll pull you out the other side.
Alternatively you could chuck her in, the fronts would chirp as they struggled for grip & the same would happen.

I only had the back end loose once & that was me driving after a very very late night & showing a friends younger brother her capabilities, but even then it was all very easy to correct.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
SpaceMonkey said:
hoolio said:

:lol: She was quite easy to drive hard imo.
The LSD made cornering a question of bravery rather than skill in some situations tbh.
You get her into a corner & settled & then just plant your foot (Had to be the right gear of course) & she'll pull you out the other side.
Alternatively you could chuck her in, the fronts would chirp as they struggled for grip & the same would happen.

I only had the back end loose once & that was me driving after a very very late night & showing a friends younger brother her capabilities, but even then it was all very easy to correct.

Now you're just pouring more oil on Steve's fire :lol: