Reaction score
If you're going VAG get the 2.0TDi 170PS engine if you can. I've got both a Trophy and a 2010 Octavia vRS with the 170PS diesel engine, its bloody brilliant. Loads of torque tops out at 140mph and can still easily return 50mpg.

Me and a mate of mine did a mad drive straight to the ring and back in 2 days. Got to the ring (600 miles) on one tank of diesel :lol:

Reaction score
I had an A3 140ps diesel with a DSG box - 55 mpg, quick and the best box I've ever used: would have another one no question, a brilliant car! :)

Reaction score
Interesting - thanks for comments guys. The VAG family has left me wondering which avenue of the family he should go down!? Are the a3s fun to drive? Evo always seem to rate them as a touch anodyne? (not that their ratings are necessarily the be all and end all!)

Reaction score
The A3 is a good drive but no Trophy round the bends; as is always the advice - try before you buy (it all depends what you are looking for).

Reaction score
To answer some questions.

My colleague does like it, but this is based upon my own findings in being in the passenger seat in the car (That I like it). They don't drive it to within an inch of it's life or anything like that. I know this car will be alot heavier and all that. If I was to get a A3 or my wife for that matter, I'd just get a cheap weekend car as well and have the tank for miles/commuting/car sharing.

Haven't noticed any 170ps engines, maybe they're above my price range I've been looking at. The only concern I have with an Audi is the running costs and especially if I had a DSG box.