Reaction score
Right ho,

Currently in a bit of a weird place re: the suspension on my Trophy. Front dampers have been refurbed, & the rears are also only 18 months old, so its a great setup, with plenty of life left in it ...

However, on track, its not quite low/stiff/adjustable enough, so my plan is/was to de-pin the front dampers for adjustability, uprate the springs & purchase some adjustable rear konis.

That will cost about £350, my current setup is woth say £500. So £850 in total.

My question is, would that be a better fast-road/track setup than say some H&R coilovers, or 2nd hand AST's?

PS. I'm not bothered about 'it not being a Trophy anymore', or 'losing value'. The cars owes me about a tenner.

Reaction score
Its a catch 22 situation Dave as the Trophy set up is meant more for road than track use.

We are working on some uprated rear Koni's to our own specs which with Eibach springs does improve the car for track use along with camber shims on the rear.

However it will never be as good as a proper coilover setup which we are hoping to be able to offer shortly........

Let me know if we can be of any help? :)

Reaction score
AST are excellent and the after sales support from Curtis Woodman means that you can tailor the dampers and spring rates to your specific requirements.

Reaction score
I'm going for either H+R, Billstein or KW's for mine, aslong as its got adjustable shocks I dont mind

Reaction score
I am in a similar dilemma, I feel with the dampers un-pinned all they need to be perfect is height adjustment platforms. Im currently looking around for suitable setups but unlike you im in the 'i cant do that to a trophy' mind set.

look forward to finding out what you decide to do.

Reaction score
Sir Dave, I respect your get out of jail free line! If you really want a track biased set up get coilovers and get it set up by people who know what they are doing, like Mardis Gras for example.

Reaction score
Right, well i've decided against the AST's for various reasons, & have put a deposit on some H&R's.

They use Bilstein dampers, & as a Bilstein fanboy (i've had them on 2 x 106gtis and my saxo vts), i think they should offer a very similar drive to the Sachs, but with a little additional stiffness (& of course lowness/camber) for on track.

I'll update with my thoughts once they are fitted :)

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
Right, well i've decided against the AST's for various reasons, & have put a deposit on some H&R's.

They use Bilstein dampers, & as a Bilstein fanboy (i've had them on 2 x 106gtis and my saxo vts), i think they should offer a very similar drive to the Sachs, but with a little additional stiffness (& of course lowness/camber) for on track.

I'll update with my thoughts once they are fitted :)
As said on CS, great purchase mate, really cant wait to see your thoughts between the two, I didnt realise H+R used Billstein shocks, I've also had 3 set of them on my 106s so think it will have to be them for the trophy

Reaction score
Yeah, as far as im aware, they are Bilstein dampers re-valved to H&R specifications. Mono-tube though so hoping that they will offer a similar feel to the old Bilstein/Faulkner setup on the 106/saxo, which imho is flipping awesome!!