Reaction score
I'm picking up my Trophy tomorrow, and I'm interested to know what, if any, modifications are needed to get a good sound out of it?

I'm planning on upgrading the HU to one of these: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... ts_id=4679

What about the speakers? Has anyone changed from the standard fit? What's the bass response like etc...

Any info would great...

Ps. Once I know what number it is I'll get it on the register....

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Welcome to the forum mate :D

Looks like you've gone for a good head unit, they seem a popular choice.

The rear speakers are pretty rubbish to be honest, they will distort at the sign of any decent amount of bass. The other problem I found is the plastic trim around the rear speakers tends to vibrate quite badly. I removed mine and put some slightly better ones in the parcel shelf instead. This made a big difference.

The front speakers really aren't bad at all, i'm still running the standard ones. I'm sure a set of cheap aftermarket ones would still be better, so i may upgrade them at some point, but they are reasonably ok.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! :)

I'm thinking along the same lines, possibly using one of these: http://digitalsounddirect.co.uk/shop...ts_id/866.html with a pair of 6" x 9"s mounted in it and uprating the fronts!?!?

How easy is it to plumb in shelf mounted speakers, to the existing rear feeds?

I would ask how that head unit can be popular choice, given that it was only release on Tuesday!?!? :wink:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Its really easy to plumb into the exising rear speaker feeds. The rear speakers are in the arm rests of the rear seats, so you can simply crimp on another half a meter or so of wire and feed it along behind the trim where it will come out in the boot space behind the rear seat.

I'll admit to not actually looking at the model of the head unit, all the Alpine units look the same to me :oops: :p

Reaction score
Nik said:
I'll admit to not actually looking at the model of the head unit, all the Alpine units look the same to me :oops: :p

You're are right, they do all look very similar! This one features their new iPod interface which apparently is amazing! That primarily what I want the stereo for, as I've used mini-discs up until now, but now that one purchases online I can't be bothered to burn an album to CD, to then copy to MD when I can just plug my iPod into the car and be done with it....

I think the HU, uprated fronts and 6x9s in an new shelf could be the best solution, and wont mean losing boot space to amps/subs etc...

I suppose if I need a little more bass I could always plump for something like this:

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/en ... 937%3B.htm

Reaction score
hi mate. I have the 55r alpine in my cup and its a good unit. A bit over complex tho. It also runs the ipod adaptor.
I have kenwood duel mags in the back and im a big fan of these.
If your in twells keep a look out 4 my cup.... Ck03

Reaction score
iain_c said:
in the original place. I dont like shelves full of speakers

That's why I quite like the look of that stealth shelf, it'll let me have some nice 6 x 9s to beef up the bass, but not look like I've installed a big sound system...

Are the front speakers component?

Reaction score
front speakers are stock at the mo.but am thinking about replacing them with more duel mags.
My kenwoods were £80 a pair and i think they have tweeters built in.
The only problem with the alpine is i cant pick up radio...I dont know why!
Davo my prospeed is LOUD. I hate it

Reaction score
Hi if you are looking for a stealth shef i have a genuine Auto Acoustics shelf for sale looking for £75 for it, it used to be in my old clio but since getting the Trophy i decided not to bother fitting it.

As for speakers the first thing i did is replace the std ones for a set of Cerwig Wega up front and a set of Infintiys in the rear, all fitted into the standard pods. I must say even using the std HU it sounds 10times better.

Reaction score
cool, im looking at getting a long life system, heard a few good things from people who have them on there cars. was it difficult to change your head unit in your cup?

Reaction score
It is a good system but not really tuned to my flavour. Im looking to take it back and getting it made quiet. Nik's system on his 172 was similar to mine but far more liveable.
Hu is a pice of piss to fit. Just plug and play.
Just trying to fit all the wires in was a pain.

Reaction score
SteveC said:
Hi if you are looking for a stealth shef i have a genuine Auto Acoustics shelf for sale looking for £75 for it, it used to be in my old clio but since getting the Trophy i decided not to bother fitting it.

As for speakers the first thing i did is replace the std ones for a set of Cerwig Wega up front and a set of Infintiys in the rear, all fitted into the standard pods. I must say even using the std HU it sounds 10times better.

Have you got the model numbers you used?

I've just ordered the 9850Ri but I can imagine I'm going to want to upgrade the speakers ASAP!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
in my last clio (which will all be going into my trophy soon!) was

a kenwood pswkdc9521 mp3 unt which is the best unit ive had
a set of audio bahn 5 1/4 " front comps and tweeters mounted in dash, run off a Phoenix gold zx450 (old school!)then bin the back speakers they are pants!

have a custom made (i made it myself!) parcel shelf with some audiobahn 6x9's also run of the zx450

then in the boot a power cap to power a zx350 amp running a jl audio 12" sub, the sound is the bollocks but should be for about £2k worth of gear!

Reaction score
I cant remeber the model numbers off the top of my head, i belive that the Infintiy ones have been superseeded with a newer desing, if you look in Halfords they always seem to have them on offer, i paid around £50 but that was around 4 yrs back.

The CW Speakers i know for a fact are no longer made, the sound from them alone is suberb but they were in the region of £175+ for the Components.

The parcel shelf that i had fitted to my old Clio was excellent fitted like a dream and with the Infinity 6x9 (Which I sold) the sound was lovely, bass was good and clarity was excellent.

If you go for a shelf with 6x9's dont bother with a Sub as you will lose any bass/Clarity from the 6x9's.
If you want a sub look at buying a good set of 2ways or components and amp them up as the sound will be more ballanced. One other thing i would suggest is to sound proof the doors and the rear panels, as they are very poorly Sound Proofed, i did this in my last clio and it makes a huge difference. If you were looking to use the car on track days etc the extra weight of the SProof is a disadvantage, but for normall every day driving its excellent. Places like Car Audio Direct have some great deals on this stuff.

IIRC i used a product called Brown Bread.

Reaction score
The new HU is great, but the standard fit speakers really are dire!!! I tried Kanye West, Gold Digger and they just fell apart so I went shopping and came home with a pair of Infinity Kappa 5 1/4" components for the front and a pair of Infinitry Reference 6" x 9"s on a stealth shelf in the back....

Fitting doesn't look to be too difficult, a friend on mine is an ICE installer and according to him, you remove 6 or 8 screws and the whole top of the dash lifts off, then it's much easier to run in the new wires...

I might take the opportunity to put some sound deadening in....

If any one is intereseted the whole system including HU, but excluding cables, crimps etc... has cost £467:

Alpine CDE-9850Ri - £190
Infinity Kappas - £99
Infinity Reference - £79
Stealth Shelf - £99

I'll get the speakers fitted next weekend and let you know how it sounds....