rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, unfortunately I have to sell the Trophy. It will really really break my heart to do so but it has to go. I'm off to Iraq for 4 months as of April and have just bought a house so the money could be used better than sitting in the garage. It's not offically up for sale yet but I'm looking for some suggestions on what to replace it with.

I'm looking at spending around 3k for something around the same size and also something that I can chuck around a bit. It will only be for a year or so then back to a Trophy or a DC2/5, who knows?

All suggestions welcome, thanks.

Reaction score
Good luck in Iraq!

£3k -> 306GTI-6; Ford Ka/Puma

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Clio Williams, 306 GTI-6, 106 GTI/Saxo VTS, 205 GTI, Golf GTI (mk2) - those should all pretty much fit the bill.

Or you could consider an E30 325i Sport or 318is if you fancy something RWD.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Bump received cue, thanks.

bc - looked at a few in your list, 106 GTi, VTS, Mk2 GTi. I had a VTR a few cars ago which was running around 110bhp @ the wheels, was loads of fun. A VTS with the correct mods would be a hoot also.

I hate the feeling of ''going back'' but hey, that's life and the sacrifice we have to make.

Thanks Ollie, I plan to be fine, lol. The job I do means I very rarely, if at all need to leave the confines of the base thankfully.

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the feeling of 'going back' - but as you say its just a temporary thing for a year or so. The you can buy something shinier and newer (and more expensive) again ;)

Good luck with the job!

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Certainly only for a year... maximum. Did some one say V-TEC and LSD, lol!!

Thanks bc, I'm sure it will be an experience.

Reaction score
Mate, if you can I would really suggest keeping it, I know this may sound like a barmy idea - keeping £11k locked up in your garage, but there is reasoning trust me...

2 yrs ago I had a VTS and loved it, then after much saving managed to afford an M3, but cos of the expensive upkeep and depreciation I only planned to have it for a year (I have now sold it painful but made myself). When I decided to buy the M3, I sold my VTS, and thought the £3k would come in handy - it did, but then a year later when I sold my M3, I was really gutted that I didn't have the VTS - a car that I knew the history off and would have no concerns over future problems etc (as I knew it from ~new).

Hidsight for me... I'd have kept it, [however then I might not have a trophy (bought on Monday :D )]. What I'm trying to say, badly, is that the hassle of selling then re-buying may be more then the likley depreciation. If you can get a mate to tick it over and take it for a short run ever month I reckon you might do well to keep hold of it... if you deicde not then I can only reccommend a VTS, they are simply crazy, but brilliant fun (sure a lot of the other cars will be too though.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'd by the pug, when you get back look into either Trophy or the 197 F1, should be a few brand new examples still out there then.

Reaction score
rojer386 said:
Well, unfortunately I have to sell the Trophy. It will really really break my heart to do so but it has to go. I'm off to Iraq for 4 months as of April and have just bought a house so the money could be used better than sitting in the garage. It's not offically up for sale yet but I'm looking for some suggestions on what to replace it with.

I'm looking at spending around 3k for something around the same size and also something that I can chuck around a bit. It will only be for a year or so then back to a Trophy or a DC2/5, who knows?

All suggestions welcome, thanks.

First of all, good luck out here bud, keep safe.

£3K is a really good budget for a hot hatch believe it or not, or if you fancy something a bit different, why not a Corrado VR6? Brilliant Driver's car, 0-60 in 6.2 secs and reliable as a 10-year old coupe can be.

£3K will get you a lovely 205 GTI and the insurance too.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
AWESOM-O 4000 said:
Mate, if you can I would really suggest keeping it, I know this may sound like a barmy idea - keeping £11k locked up in your garage, but there is reasoning trust me...

2 yrs ago I had a VTS and loved it, then after much saving managed to afford an M3, but cos of the expensive upkeep and depreciation I only planned to have it for a year (I have now sold it painful but made myself). When I decided to buy the M3, I sold my VTS, and thought the £3k would come in handy - it did, but then a year later when I sold my M3, I was really gutted that I didn't have the VTS - a car that I knew the history off and would have no concerns over future problems etc (as I knew it from ~new).

Hidsight for me... I'd have kept it, [however then I might not have a trophy (bought on Monday :D )]. What I'm trying to say, badly, is that the hassle of selling then re-buying may be more then the likley depreciation. If you can get a mate to tick it over and take it for a short run ever month I reckon you might do well to keep hold of it... if you deicde not then I can only reccommend a VTS, they are simply crazy, but brilliant fun (sure a lot of the other cars will be too though.

I know exactly what you mean mate but it will have to go. :cry: I loved my VTR, went very well and they react great to a cam etc. It may well be a VTS but will need to keep my options open. Will be selling the Trophy March time and buying another car when I return to the UK in August.

All comments greatly appreciated guys.

Brian

Reaction score
Good luck and keep your head down! Now thats a job that 'may involve travel' :wink:
Why not keep it in the family and go Clio Williams or my personal fave MK1 Crx

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
duffer987 said:
Good luck and keep your head down! Now thats a job that 'may involve travel' :wink:
Why not keep it in the family and go Clio Williams or my personal fave MK1 Crx

Tempted by the Wiliams butn the mk 1 crx, thats a little beaut. I never thought that trying to spend 3k on an older hot hatch would involve so many decisions.