Max

Reaction score
Great posts pturner333, I totally agree, we Trophy owners need to accept that our cars are going to surpassed, it may well have happened already.

The R27 I have seen on track (a few times) is incredibly fast, I only track my MNR so I understand how fast this Clio is.

Hasn't one member bought one, his plate was T27 ***, his opinion would be valuable.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Max said:
Great posts pturner333, I totally agree, we Trophy owners need to accept that our cars are going to surpassed, it may well have happened already.

The R27 I have seen on track (a few times) is incredibly fast, I only track my MNR so I understand how fast this Clio is.

Hasn't one member bought one, his plate was T27 ***, his opinion would be valuable.

I don't think anyone on here believes that there are not better cars out there and it wont be surpassed, just read the other posts, it's just the guy is a twat for the way he's made his point.

Reaction score
There are lots of cars out there faster than a Trophy, it doesn't mean they're better. The new Cooper S is quicker on track than any Renaultsport except maybe an R26 but that would be close. Things move on, as they should.

The fact remains that no-one has made a hot hatch yet that's a better driver's car than the Trophy. It will always be one of the all-time greats, like the 205 GTI, Williams, Delta Integrale etc.

It says it all that Harry Metcalfe, owner of a Pagani Zonda, bought a 197 and still has his Trophy, even though they essentially do the same thing. He says at the beginning of one of the fuel debate videos that he drove to Goodwood Festival of Speed in his Trophy, in fact he only takes the 197 out when he needs to take passengers.

Oh, and it's a minor point, but you're still going to pull away from an R27 from the lights, which will back-up your instincts to not 'trade-up', even if you don't care about electric steering. :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
LOL that's the kind of critique i like, short and to the point. :lol:

Reaction score
hoolio said:
LOL that's the kind of critique i like, short and to the point. :lol:

yes when a brand new f1 "renaultsport" megane thats 230 bhp feels slower than a 20 year old "renault" saloon with a 2L 8 valve petrol engine with a garret turbo that produces 175 bhp alarm bells do start to ring in my ears :roll:

Reaction score
How does new switchgear make a car better in any way? A few extra kilos? Wasn't it around 150kg extra? Thats a hell of a lot.

I thought it was just as fast but not faster.

Ajr

Reaction score
I've driven the 197 on the ring, i can tell you straight up that the 197 shows it's lack of low down power much more than the 182 does, as it's a heavier car. It definitely needs the 2.0 turbo to really be a step up from a 182.

Also the handling, brilliant as it is, isn't quite on a par with the trophy, in tighter corners it's most noticeable.

The brakes however are brilliant. The ride comfort and seating position are quite a bit better, it has a much nicer steering wheel too. interior doesn't feel much better made though. The huge arches and 18s also are a bit more "pimp" and the majority of clueless people in this country would think it was a much sportier looking car than the 182, i don't think it looks better though, back end looks crap. As for this great sound, dunno what people are getting at, they sound OK for a standard car.

I felt disappointed by the 197 personally, where other manufacturers are going to another level with every incarnation of hot hatch, the 197 feels like a sideways step from a 182, just a newer version of the same car with some slight improvements.

I was looking at white 197 cups brand new but decided i wanted a trophy really and i'm glad i made my choice.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
that's not far off what i thought- i've only ever driven them on track though so it's not a fair comparison as i've done a few more thousands miles on roads in the Trophy

Reaction score
Iv just come from a clio R27 to a trophy........ the R27 feels more grown up to drive and you feel like you dont need to boot it all the time, but think the trophy is more fun to drive!! Even though the build qality is not as good as the R27...

Trophy does fel faster though :) R27 looks awasome (with cup spolier)

Reaction score
If you want more endorsements have a read of the curent Clio 197 Cup vs Clio Trophy in Performance Car magazine. :mrgreen:

Reaction score
What an antagonistic way to speak to people, thanks for attempting to annoy my fellow members on here who are generally experienced car enthusiasts and are not so naive as to think in the ways you have suggested, but wholly enjoy their cars for what they are irrespective of driving ability

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Streetfighter said:
...on here who are generally experienced car enthusiasts and are not so naive as to think in the ways you have suggested, but wholly enjoy their cars for what they are irrespective of driving ability
=D> Well said that man.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Streetfighter said:
What an antagonistic way to speak to people, thanks for attempting to annoy my fellow members on here who are generally experienced car enthusiasts and are not so naive as to think in the ways you have suggested, but wholly enjoy their cars for what they are irrespective of driving ability

#-o For i second there i thought "What the fuck have i said now"

The article, though short, is a nice counterbalance to the OP's piece.