Reaction score
Like a number of people have already said, the Trophy has had rave reviews from almost everyone in the motor industry. I'm yet to here the 197/R27/197 Cup wins titles such as "Best Ever Hot Hatch".

I have driven a 197 and even an R26 and personally found the Trophy to be better than both. I suppose it does come down to what you want, however the Trophy is the only car out of them and the variants to have received so much praise. Let’s not forget the amount of research and experience that went into the Trophy. The mk2 Clio was produced for about 9 years and we've seen the RS models evolve over that time. The Trophy is the end result and the panicle of the RS range.

The 197 has been out for not even half that time so I can't see it being better, especially with less time developing it.

I believe the 197 is a more refined car and more grown up however it is still not on the same level as the Trophy. For me, the Trophy and even the 172 Cup are the better drivers cars and that’s what they where made to be.

I also think the Trophy is better value, better spec, better looking and a better general all rounder too. I like many others was disappointed when Renault brought out the 197. I would of preferred to see Renault fix the niggles on the mk2 however understand due to marketing and sales figures things must move on. However still believe Renault are yet to recreate what the Trophy is.

Finally, I've never got excited seeing a 197 on the road. However I always look forward to seeing another Trophy or 172 Cup and for me that sums it up.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Streetfighter said:
What an antagonistic way to speak to people, thanks for attempting to annoy my fellow members on here who are generally experienced car enthusiasts and are not so naive as to think in the ways you have suggested, but wholly enjoy their cars for what they are irrespective of driving ability

#-o For i second there i thought "What the fox have i said now"

The article, though short, is a nice counterbalance to the OP's piece.

Yeah sorry hoolio, I didn't bother quoting the OP. It is also not worth the effort dissecting each aspect of the OP :arrow: taxi

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i do think that a lighter (100kg at least and more powerful - 220-230bhp '197' would be a very good almost trophy beating car. I always thought that it just weighed too much and didn't seem to pick up quick enough when hard accelerating - having said that, as i've said i've only ever driven the things on track and a few cars have left me with this impression including an AMG Merc that I set the brakes alight on......

Reaction score
If i can just throw my hat in the ring too:

>It seems you have missed the point of these cars if you mention "one touch window controls" but neglect to mention Handling" and steering feel in your review.

>Grip and handing are 2 very different things.

>I am happy to say that i have driven several of the variants of the 197 (including the F1), and whilst as you rightly point out they improved the ergonomics, they regressed the handing and dynamics through design and additional weight.

finally
>You say that a manufacturer of Hot hatches would never fail to superceed a previous generation model. Have you ever heard of Peugeot, VW or Honda? Remeber, in volume terms, hot hatches are a drop in the ocean compared to the more mundane models, and subsequently the good folk at Renaultsport don't really have much say when the designers decide to make the car fatter to accomodate more shopping - they can only work so much magic.

To quote the article in this months performance car where they pitched the trophy against a 197 cup:

"The 197 is a really great car, but the Trophy is a brilliant one"

Reaction score
i own both and you are just so wrong....
to say its better in every aspect is just "laugh out loud" funny.
sure some things are better like brakes, gearchange & exhaust note
but to say things like....
"the seats are better"...havent you seen the massive amount of R27 owners getting up a petition on RS to claim the seats are "not fit for purpose" ?
and to say its faster simply isnt true,it has lost all low down grunt.
if i even try to drive the R27 like the trophy the esp lights up like a christmas tree.
surely you dont think it handled better as well...
so what do you drive day to day?
[-X

Reaction score
St. Trophy said:
To quote the article in this months performance car where they pitched the trophy against a 197 cup:

Is that all it says about the Trophy? I'm not sure to buy it or not.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mr turner is long gone and i suspect he may be Stromba anyway but clearly he was no match for our untamed wit.

Reaction score
Streetfighter said:
What an antagonistic way to speak to people, thanks for attempting to annoy my fellow members on here who are generally experienced car enthusiasts and are not so naive as to think in the ways you have suggested, but wholly enjoy their cars for what they are irrespective of driving ability

LOL! I think you'd need to get into the wayback machine for him to hear you :wink:
How does this thread keep coming back?

Reaction score
Stevie said:
St. Trophy said:

Is that all it says about the Trophy? I'm not sure to buy it or not.

It is worth the purchase, it is a double page spread about the trophy / 197 cup and there is quite a big article about Clio V6 vs other "nuts" cars (like that crazy turbo beetle rsi, mental nismo micra and so on). It is a good read.