Trophy or 182 cup?? Talk to me

Reaction score
(bit stupid I know) carry on waiting for a mint trophy to pop up for sale or go have a look at some 182 cups? Decisions guys?

Reaction score
Have you driven both? If not, you should to help answer your q

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't limit myself to looking at just a 182 Cup, I'd also consider a regular 182 with both Cup packs specced from the factory.

At the end of the day if you really want a Trophy and you settle for a regular 182 it'll be a great introduction into Renaultsport ownership, but you probably won't be happy until you've owned a T.

Or, you could save yourself a few grand with a normal 182 (which could be much more rare than a Trophy, if it's exclusivity you crave. For example, there are only 29 Petrol Blue 182s in the UK iirc).

It all depends how much you want a Trophy. Personally it was the only car for me (other than a Ford Racing Puma), I waited many months for the right one, travelled 400 miles to look at it and paid a deposit there and then. Then I got a lift to pick it up a week or so later. That was 4 years ago and not once have I had any regrets.

If you want a Trophy, be patient and be prepared to spend if the right one comes up. If you want a hot hatch to run as a daily for a year or so I'd probably start off in a Cup-packed 182.

Reaction score
If your going to want a Trophy, buy a Trophy. I should have done from the start. I love my 182 but the fact iI like doing things right, will mean I loose a tonne of cash on it when I sell it now that I have the T.

182 cup just isn't as special as the 172 cup against its counterparts. I would probably rather have a 172 cup over a 182 cup TBH.

If if your in no rush then just wait your time.

Reaction score
i think you need to expand you limits for a Trophy a bit, there seems to be a common misconception that low miles = better car

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys it really helps can't find one I'm happy at the moment I'm sure it will pop up soon

Reaction score
Agree on the mileage. Condition and history more important. Mine's done 90k but is probably better than a 60k example. The engines and boxes are strong and they all need sachs rebuild at some point so its a good time to refresh the suspension, baggy suspension is what makes a car feel tired.

Reaction score
Ive owned a 172 Cup as a daily for nearly 6 years, then got a 172 full fat for 18 months, bought the Trophy in December and just recently sold the full fat 172. I have always wanted a Trophy just had to bide my time and get some cash together, similar to the 172 Cup however better and I did love my Cup. 172 full fat was a stop gap between the Cup & Trophy and that wasnt a bad car at all. Get what you want and take your time for the right car.

Reaction score
Mine's in great condition, total refresh, refurb, tyres, brakes, engine ... 3k spnt last 6 months!

If you don't mind 116k with all invoices etc present :D

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
If i never had the Trophy i would buy an RB or LY 182 and fit sachs dampers and recaro seats.

Its just a shame that renault never done the Trophy in White like they planned.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy is better, so if you can afford to buy one & maintain her, then jump in if you've got the benjamins :up:

Reaction score
Yer I've got the cash here ready, just waiting for the right one to come along