Reaction score
Or perhaps not.

This is a Trophy afterall ... Handling > Lowz:up:

On Sachs / Sportlines
IMG_1163.jpg

On H&R's
IMG_1796.jpg

Very pleased so far, ride is lovely, far better than the Sachs in fact, which would imply that they are probably a little softer. Havent really pushed it particularly hard as the camber/toe is all over the place & the car was full of tat last night - but its still very planted, with LOOS available on demand if required. Fitting was an absolute pig, but that will be detailed elsewhere in my project thread on CS.

Also, the rear end would appear to be settling a bit already so will have to either drop the front a little more/raise the rear end up once its finally sorted itself out - aiming for the rear to be about 10mm higher than the front ideally.

Reaction score
IMG_1804.jpg
IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg

Also fitted the RC5+ front pads, had forgotten how silly they were epic braking is restored.

Shame that the cost of refurbing the Sachs is quite so ridiculous, but hey ho, allows me to try something else i guess.

Reaction score
Dave - I used to have that kit on my old 182 cup and I am still to go into another coilover'd Clio that rides as well.

Highly recommend them, more nicer on the sound the Sachs with MF springs :)

Surprised you aint been shot yet for removing the Sachs lol

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Surprised you aint been shot yet for removing the Sachs lol

He's not going to get shot for that but you may for making daft comments like that that reinforce a stereotype that doesn't really exist anymore.
It's also become increasingly difficult to criticise people for looking at other options with the ridiculous price of a refurb. Added to the fact that it's unlikely that Dave will have just fitted any cheap shit and would have given the subject some thought.
Unfortunately and increasingly more and more are going to end up like this.

Reaction score
It's also become increasingly difficult to criticise people for looking at other options with the ridiculous price of a refurb. Added to the fact that it's unlikely that Dave will have just fitted any cheap shit and would have given the subject some thought.
Unfortunately and increasingly more and more are going to end up like this.

Thats the problem in a nutshell tbh, i wasnt prepared to give BG £700 quid to refurb some dampers that have already done 185k miles. Unfortunately the other option that i was looking into cant do them either :( which left me with the H&R/Spax/AST decision.

AST - too expensive, bit too track biaised
Spax - i dunno, ive always thought of of them as a bit of a lower quality brand, like Asda. Fairly untested.
H&R - traditionally very good reviews, high quality product, good for fast road, like the Sachs.

Reaction score
looks at a very sensible height TBH

How much were the H&R's if you dont mind me asking?

Reaction score
looks at a very sensible height TBH

How much were the H&R's if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks, i was aiming to get it roughly the same height as when it had the Sportlines :)

I'll pm you about the coilies, but they are circa £910 from Kam, £865 from ECP if you can blag 10% discount somehow lol.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looking nice.
Just out of interest. Do KW make a kit for the clio.?
Ive had some KW kit on one of my other cars, and it was superb....

Reaction score
They make ones for the 172 & 182 without the cuppacks (54mm bolt spacing on front suspension), but nothing for the 182 Cup/Trophy unfortunately due to the 60mm bolt spacing :( The choice is essentially H&R, Spax or AST - unless you want tat like Vmaxx or Raceland.