Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi all,

Have had 2 services since I owned the T on 24k and 35k using 5W40 Elf oil.

After having the last oil change the car has now covered 37k and is already low on oil. Not sure if it has been topped up fully but imagine it would have been. Car is used 5 days a week for 60 mile commute and wondering if this is just normal.

Checked for leaks under the car nothing, but do have the usual leak of oil which sits on top of the inlet manifold.

Any help gladly appreciated.

Reaction score
It shouldn't use any oil, unless driven very hard?

My advice would be to top-up and monitor.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi,

Lots do it according to CS.

Seems it could be leaking via Cam cover. Having belts done within 3 months so will get this cured then.

Paying an extra hours labour will save me in oil!!

Reaction score
Mine too has oil on top of the inlet manifold.

I've resealed the cam
Cover and resealed the vvti solenoid but is still evident

Anybody any ideas
I suspect possibly cam pulley seals????

Jez.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It could be those I had mine replaced during the major service, the gasket/seal on the rocker cover is just a mastic and is only as good as the original application, mine stayed to lose a little oil around the back which I totally missed because you really need a mirror to see back there.
I am probably wrong but doesn't replacing the cqm seals involve new belts?

Reaction score
Replacing the belts involves new cam seals, but I think it's fairly straightforward to replace just the seals.

Reaction score
I'm changing cam and drive belt kits soon aswell as the water pump so I might aswell change cam seals too
jez.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
eljeffo64 said:
Replacing the belts involves new cam seals, but I think it's fairly straightforward to replace just the seals.

Not sure about that Jeff, certainly the seal kit was charged separately and I've never seen it mentioned as part of the service.
Also contrary to opinions on some boards the pump on the 182 is pretty bombproof, the impellar is metal not plastic.

Reaction score
Hinckley, Leics. *182 breaking for spares*
hoolio said:
eljeffo64 said:

Not sure about that Jeff, certainly the seal kit was charged separately and I've never seen it mentioned as part of the service.
Also contrary to opinions on some boards the pump on the 182 is pretty bombproof, the impellar is metal not plastic.

Sounds like he's referring to the blanking seals at the gearbox end, where the locking tool goes in.

Reaction score
Few possibilities here:

1. Unless you serviced the car yourself, or checked the oil directly after someone else did it, they might not have filled it up correctly.
2. The F4R leaks around the top of the engine, not sure what this bit is called as im not mechanical, but if you look under the inlet at the front of the engine, you'll probably see a load of oil on top the engine. 182's do this far worse than 172's. Fixed with some sealant iirc.
3. Its just burning a bit of oil, they shouldnt ideally, but some do.

Just keep an eye on it, get them to check it over when it goes in for the cambelt :)