Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Having just purchased a nice low mileage trophy a month or so back im having to consider moving it on. Unfortunately for me I just cant get away with the driving position. Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a fix?

Everything else about the car is great and its a shame that the driving position lets it down. The problem for me is that in order to get a good leg position I need to put the seat back as far as it will go and then I have to lean forward a touch to change gear. The only way around this problem is to have the seat really upright which is really uncomfortable. Of course it may just be me, but I aint got short arms or anything. Any advice would be great...

Cheers

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. I believe you're not the only one. Im totally different, I feel it helps support my back. Have you tried to move the steering wheel? Would be great if the seats would move up and down, but they don't.

Best of Luck. :D

Reaction score
Having come from Corrados and hondas which have the perfect seating position for me i fully understand where you are coming from. fortunately i like sitting bolt upright so i just about get away with having the seating position right back without having to over stretch for the wheel and gear stick.
It's a shame as this is the only thing i fault the car on really :(

Reaction score
I guess having spent the last 3 years in a 111r elise im used to a driving position that has a straighter legg position but still allows you to be in an ideal position with regards the wheel. I dont remember having the same problem in my old Williams. However, I do love the car its a hoot to drive.

Steve

Reaction score
steve...i have just come from an elise....actually i had a S1 then an S2 so i know what u mean about the driving position...but i find the trophy seats so comfy...and i adjusted the steering wheel so its fine now:)

Reaction score
I had to tilt the s/wheel down to make up for the lack of reach adjustment I had on the 197.

An aftermarket gear knob like a Richbrook are smaller than the original which can reduce the reach to it or the need to lift your back off the seat as well as giving a more positive feel to the gear change. Might be worth trying this before moving the car on.

Reaction score
I did wonder about shortening the gearchange rod, so as to tilt the gear lever back. At first i found the gear lever position a real problem, but eventually stopped noticing it, even though it was not my every day car.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I always knew there was a reason why i was blessed with short stumpy legs, monkey arms would also be an obvious advantage.
After lots of fiddling around i got it just about perfect but it took a little while and a little back pain and now the only thing i would alter slightly would be the peddle position.

Reaction score
I moved from a 111r to the Trophy. You do have to adjust the seat rake and reach an infinite amount of times to get reasonably comfy.

I remember posting about this when i first got mine (a lot of people have done so).

Had my Trophy a year now and don't find it uncomfortable at all! I'm 6ft 2 and found that the overly large steering wheel didn't help either.

Perservere tho......Just don't let anyone move the seat or wheel once you've got it just so.

The CT's worth it!

Reaction score
It must be a french thing, my Peugeot 206 was exactly the same in needing short legs and long arms. As karlos says, it's worth trying to persevere, and play around with very small adjustments until you get it right. It's just a shame there was no reach adjustment on the steering wheel, it would be so much easier then.

Reaction score
Yup, had the same problem when i first bought 474, took months to get the seating position bang on, i've found using a CG lock helps a lot, as obviosly it locks the bottom half of your body in to the seat. Its definately worth the backache tho. Stick with it a bit longer steve.

Reaction score
I found that if I adjusted the seat back to be a little more upright each day I didn't really notice the difference. I am now sitting pretty blimin' straight though!