Reaction score
Trophy No.
...........unsure if it is my imagination but my Trophy appears to be lower on the front than the back when parked and thinking the worst about front dampers. Had recent MOT and no problems whatsoever, no leaks from the dampers and the 'gap' on both sides feel ok. Is it just my paranoya (sorry for spelling) or time for damper rebuild? Car is on an '05' plate and just hit 20,000 miles.

Thanks

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hope so - will keep an eye on it.

If a fail occurs will the car feel 'light and bouncy' and be noticeable?

Thanks

Reaction score
I've heard it's like driving on a mattress, some say a bouncy castle... so use any similar object, but bouncy is the general concensus.

Imagine it just driving on the springs, with nothing to 'damp' the bounce, and there you go

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you may notice a height difference in the right to the left as the driver over time can lower the drivers side through the extra weight being carried... anything up to 10mm has been recorded !

Reaction score
the dampers usually leak the gas before the oil BTW.
my dampers came back at the weekend, i can get 3 fingers between the top of the tyre and the arch if thats any use...i made a video of how easy it was to rock the front of the car then the dampers have gone, no idea how to post it , it may be usefull to some people.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
the dampers usually leak the gas before the oil BTW.

Is your thinking behind that because the gas is contained in the bottom section of the reservoir ??

Reaction score
Has anyone got a photo showing the "vital 5mm clearance" thing, or can anyone recall a thread that shows it. That's a half-decent diagnostic tool.

Basically there should a 4-5mm clearance between the the horizontal bridge and the sleeve underneath on one barrel as illustrated (acknowledgements to BenG who I stole the pic from). If the bridge is resting on the sleeve, you're in trouble.

Attachments

• beng%2520005.jpg
    beng%2520005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 28