Reaction score
right folks i been thinking about how far these engines can live on for, would these engines if looked after likely to see 200k? i currently use it as my daily and i aint too pleased about it lol

Reaction score
Just look at the thread on the one for sale on Pistonheads which has near 170K on the clock.

Any modern engine will last hundreds of thousands of miles if maintained correctly. Similarly any engine abused will fail quickly.

The long term durability testing modern engines go through in environmentally controlled dyno test cells would have seemed excessive and extreme even back in the 80's & early 90's.

Reaction score
Grades of engine oils have been improved so much compared to years ago! I think it all comes down to regular servicing and don't ignore major services. Like j333evo said these engines are tested in dyno test cells under constant high revving for a long period of time. I heard once from a friend who was working for Ford Motorsport that the Focus RS MK1 engine was tested for like 24hours and was then pushed to 29,000revs! and it was fine, although I wouldn't want that engine in my car ;o)